Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Folder Comments  (Read 3444 times)

adithya48

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Folder Comments
    « on: May 26, 2014, 04:54:44 AM »
    Hello all,
    Am new to batch files. I am looking for a script to get all the details of a partculart folder. Below is an example.
    1. I have an excel with list of folders inside a same director (Like: D:/Testing)
    2. Inside D:/Testing there are 10 folders
    3. So I need to get the details like author, comments, last modified, date created for all the listed folders in an excel or text file

Please help me!

Thanks,
    Adithya

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Folder Comments
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 03:07:27 PM »

adithya48

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:23:42 AM »
      I have gone thru the link you have provided but I am not looking for the properties of a file or exe or application. I am searching for details of a whole folder. My requriement is to fill the comments available for a given list of folders in an excel. Please help!

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »
      Sorry I mis understood what you were trying to accomplish when I read #3 on your list.

The only tools I am aware of that can get folder info to the extent that you require are Windows based tapping into API's etc and not run from command prompt.

Karenware has this tool that is free to use. Its normally used for printing directory info, but I believe you can specify what info you want, target a directory or directory with sub directories in it and have it output all sorts of info along the lines you are looking for.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

No more fumbling with My Computer or Windows Explorer, wishing you could print information about all your files. Karen's Directory Printer can print the name of every file on a drive, along with the file's size, date and time of last modification, and attributes (Read-Only, Hidden, System and Archive)! And now, the list of files can be sorted by name, size, date created, date last modified, or date of last access.

I am at a work computer right now and cant play with it to give exact examples, but I have used this tool in the past to print to PDF the directory tree of what is contained on external hard drives so that if I need a file I can search the PDF's and know which drive to connect and where the file is located that I need to copy from it to work with etc. There are all sorts of features and this might be the solution for you. From memory I am not sure if it gives a CSV option or not to delimit the data and use it within excel. But its worth downloading and playing around with it to see if its what you need. There is a save to disk tab that may have the ability to save the data as a CSV.

If you specifically need this to be run from command prompt, i can have a moderator move this to the DOS section. Please do not create a new thread in the DOS section if this is the case. Moves happen quickly if needed.  :)