Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help finding a mouse because of index finger tendinitis.  (Read 9755 times)

brianko

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Hello all!  I'm new to this forum.  Hoping I set my account up right so I'll be emailed when replies are posted.  I'm creating a new post here because I am having great difficulty finding that click-button pressure/downward travel, and scroll wheel resistance, are being addressed by mice manufacturers so that their mice will not create/aggravate tendinitis in the finger.  There are plenty of specially-designed mice out there for everything else: carpal tunnel, hand pain, elbow pain, shoulder pain, tilting one's hand at an angle or to a vertical position, etc., but not for finger pain.  A bit of background: I developed tendinitis in my right (dominate) index finger early last year (2013) after using the wireless mouse that came with my awesome Logitech MX3000 keyboard/MX600 mouse set that I bought at the beginning of 2006.  I bought that set especially to get a wireless mouse because the USB cable from my previous wired mouse kept getting in my way.  Now, that same Logitech wireless mouse is no longer an option because of the tendinitis that developed in using it over time.  I then tried getting a wireless touchpad mouse but, believe it or not, it can aggravate finger pain too, especially when holding it down and scrolling/dragging and dropping/highlighting/adjusting software settings.  Also, I don't prefer a stationary device as I have to repeatedly reposition it, and it's more difficult to be precise in moving the cursor around, and when scrolling.  Since then, it has turned out that an old, roll-ball underneath (as opposed to an optical/laser mouse), USB corded, basic "2-button/scroll wheel traditional design" Dell mouse that Dell threw in with my previous desktop PC tower purchase in 2005 has the lightest click, with almost no downward depress travel to the L/R keys, and a gentle scroll wheel, when compared side-by-side in the stores to such brands as Logitech, gaming, Microsoft, and HP mice, ergonomic or not.  The physical stores near me that I've been going into are Best Buy, Staples, Radio Shack, Walmart, Office Depot, Sears, and the Microsoft Store (neither Radio Shack, Sears, nor Walmart put out display mice, so there's no way to determine the click button/scroll action of the ones they sell since they're inside their packaging) yet, so far, no mouse is as gentle as this old Dell mouse that I'm using right now.  The market is also now focused on making tiny-sized mice that are meant to be carried around in your pocket, but those are physically too small for my hand, and for the desktop computing that I do (I don't have any portable devices.  Not needed/desired in my case).  I've looked on websites like TheHumanSolution.com to research ergonomic mice (e.g., Evoluent/Handshoe/Penguin/Pencilus/Orthomouse), but have gotten mixed feedback about button click pressure and scroll resistance, and some remarks that the Orthomouse, for example, has a very hard click-button resistance that would make my condition worse.  Also, I'd have to order from them to try out their mice myself, and they charge shipping both ways and a 10% restocking fee for any that I'd return, with no assurance that any of them would work out.  My hand surgeon and physical therapist have both determined that I need to keep from curling/clawing my fingers, i.e., keep them laid out flat.  Yet, another issue with ergonomic mice is that a lot of them are designed to cause your hand/fingers to curl/wrap around them, which may be great for other repetitive motion problems, but would aggravate my finger.  I also prefer the control/preciseness offered by a scroll wheel over touch/swipe scroll.  Lastly, I want a wireless mouse, preferably Bluetooth, and hope to find one that uses disposable batteries, or at least has a rechargeable battery that can be replaced by me, the customer, as opposed to either ending up with a dead useless mouse when the battery can no longer accept a charge (i.e., mice with "built in", non-replaceable rechargeable batteries, such as the Dell WM713), or that requires a professional technician, or mailing the mouse back to the manufacturer, just to get the battery replaced (as with the Handshoe mouse).  I'm very grateful for any feedback, recommendations, and suggestions that anyone here can offer to help direct me to a gentle desktop mouse that won't aggravate my index finger tendinitis.  Many thanks to all.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need help finding a mouse because of index finger tendinitis.
    « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »
    My wife had carpal tunnel and I ended up getting her a Logitech Cordless Mouse for like $90. It had an ergonomic contour and had buttons that could be used with thumb etc vs just index finger etc. For other stuff that was less precision I gave her a touch pad to use in which she could move the pointer on a flat USB touch pad and double tap for stuff when navigating etc. But for precision with graphic design that she does, the mouse is needed.

The model she had was similar to this one, but I paid only $90 for it 5 years ago brand new from newegg. http://www.rakuten.com/prod/logitech-vx-revolution-cordless-laser-mouse-for-notebooks-black/202985154.html?listingId=339696788&scid=pla_google_Hardware&adid=18163&gclid=CMGkj9Gqz74CFZJefgodWCsAow

brianko

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
      Thanks for your comments and the link.  I'm currently "auditioning" a new Logitech Performance MX wireless ergonomic desktop mouse.  It's button-click action is a bit more pronounced than that 2005 Dell wired mouse I also still have connected, but it's not bad, and its scroll wheel is awesome, including a button to disengage/reengage the click-stop.  More time is needed to determine if I choose to keep it.  Its price ranges from $64.49 (what I got it for) to $99.99.  I emailed the makers of the Evoluent vertical mouse, and they tell me the click-button action on it is similar to other mice currently on the market, and I'd have to pay shipping both ways to try it out.  I also just sent an inquiry email today to the makers of the Handshoe mouse.  Same story in that I'd have to pay shipping to try it, but they have a light click button version of it, so I'm interested to see what they say in their reply.  Please keep those suggestions/recommendations coming!

brianko

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:18:51 AM »
        Online customer feedback about the Handshoe mouse is ambivalent.  It has a built-in rechargeable battery that the maker says can only be changed by a professional once it no longer accepts a charge.  Customers find it to be a worthy endeavor as a concept, but they say the mouse itself needs further development.  Hard to reach/press buttons and scroll wheel, large shape takes a lot of room and is imprecise for fine cursor movements.  Battery recharger USB cable is short and stiff, making using mouse with it quite difficult.  Edges of plastic are sharp, and mouse has weights installed inside that one customer removed himself to make it so he could move it around properly.  Even the "Light Click" version of this mouse had customer feedback saying the buttons and scroll wheel are hard to press/use.  To try it out, I'd have to order it and, if I decided it didn't work for me, would have to pay shipping both ways and a 10% restocking fee.  So, I'm holding off on that and the Evoluent one, primarily because, reportedly, neither of them has click-button force that is genuinely reduced, as compared to any other mouse.  Meanwhile, the Logitech Performance MX mouse I'm currently trying has negative feedback too, primarily that it reaches a point where it can't take a charge anymore, and that the buttons develop problems anywhere from 3  months to a year into using it where the left-click button registers two clicks when it is only pressed once, and the middle button/scroll wheel requires ever increasing pressure to click.  So, I called Logitech and was told the mouse can be used with disposable AA batteries, so I'm using it while the rechargeable AA it came with has power, but once its charge depletes, I'm switching to disposable Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries to see how that works out, instead of bothering with recharging it at all.  As for the problems with the buttons and scroll wheel, I don't use the middle button anyway, and, if I keep it, we'll have to see how the left/right-click buttons hold up.  As I understand it, the mouse has a 3 year warranty.  We'll see.  Despite this, if anyone here has suggestions/recommendations for other makes and models of mice that would have a very light click action so as not to aggravate my finger tendinitis, please reply here, and thank you.

brianko

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 10:52:09 AM »
          The Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse ended up aggravating my tendinitis, despite having a pretty easy click and scroll.  So, I'm back to the old 2005 wired Dell mouse again.  It seems that the "ergonomic" design of a hump-shaped mouse like the Logitech one forces the tendon over the top of the index finger to work harder to click and scroll.  My 2005 Dell mouse is not anything other than a basic, traditionally-shaped one.  I'm hoping to find a wireless mouse that's shaped the same as it is, and has the same light click and scroll.  My next contestant is a Kensington Pro Fit full size wireless mouse that's coming in the mail by 6/17.  I see online that there are even more brands, including Verbatim, as well as others carried in the stores, like the ones that Staples puts its own brand name on.  Hoping I won't have to go through all of them, since they come in totally sealed plastic, so you have to rip them open just to try them, and send them back if they don't work out.  As before, anyone here who has any suggestions/recommendations would be most welcome and appreciated.