Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is my harddrive crashing?  (Read 3070 times)

jonathanp55

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Is my harddrive crashing?
« on: June 05, 2014, 05:46:20 AM »
I have an Alienware m17xr3. My harddrive has failed S.M.A.R.T tests. Crashing, freezing up. I few times when trying to install windows it did not detect a drive. So here is when it gets interesting. I have 2 bays so I moved the harddrive to bay 2. Run a test and it passed. Installed windows, got it all setup with drivers. Then when I was installing steam, and a few other games explorer stopped responding. Basically required a hard reset. And now windows won't boot. The flag just sits there with its animation. So is my harddrive failing of is it something more serious like a connection? I don't want to buy a harddrive if that's not the problem.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Is my harddrive crashing?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 05:51:23 AM »
It's the HDD...
Many times when they are going the issues become intermittent...which is what your seeing it do now.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

eQuilibrium

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: Is my harddrive crashing?
    « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:21:57 PM »
    It could be that the programs you install have virus the makes your OS crash and freeze upon booting. Or it could be a HDD problem. Try replacing your HDD.