Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is a good gaming PC build for between 700-800$  (Read 6193 times)

OnePerson1213

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    What is a good gaming PC build for between 700-800$
    « on: June 03, 2014, 06:36:58 AM »
    What's your recommendations?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: What is a good gaming PC build for between 700-800$
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 06:22:55 PM »
    Do you already have an OS or is the OS cost included in this budget?

OnePerson1213

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
      Sorry about the late reply, I dont have one picked out but I've been watching this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229544

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:23:57 AM »
      I'd steer well clear of that one - The CPU(APU) and video card are pretty low end and I'd worry about the quality of the parts they have used, namely the very generic looking power supply and MSI brand motherboard.

For your budget you could do a lot better with something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/L63c4D which would be much more powerful, uses better quality parts and gives you a much better upgrade path for the CPU (The CyberPower one already has the best CPU it can support whereas the parts I linked would let you upgrade to an even better CPU down the line).

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 12:50:50 PM »
      I also agree that I'd steer away from CyberPower. They generally build systems up cutting corners in quality as far as lack of use of better brand components, and only advertise the specs that most would look at. They do not list the motherboard and other parts that the make/model would be interesting to know. In the past I have seen them use ECS and ASRock motherboards and these boards in my oppinion are not the best boards out there. Some may claim that they have had good luck with them, but there are many others who complain that the motherboard dies within the first 3 years of use or the system experiences strange bugs as a result of components that are not exactly within spec to work in harmony with timings etc. I also agree with Cameron that you can get a better build that is within budget with room for upgrades later vs buying a system that is painting youself into an upgrade corner running a max supported CPU for motherboard match etc, and having no where to go except swapping out motherboard later etc.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 06:27:43 PM »
      There's about 150 to $200.00 in that Cyberpower unit not justified that could be better spent...
      I'd follow the above advice personally.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

eQuilibrium

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 10:33:06 PM »
        Take into consideration just the processor, memory and videocard having high quality performance. Brand of the component doesn't really count if you are to build your pc. In this way you can minimize your expense.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 05:18:34 AM »
        Take into consideration just the processor, memory and videocard having high quality performance. Brand of the component doesn't really count if you are to build your pc. In this way you can minimize your expense.

Not true.  For some components yes, the brand doesn't matter that much such as with memory and possibly the case if you don't really care about it.  But with the motherboard or Power Supply it is crucial to get a good brand.  The motherboard is the key component of the system and getting a cheap one can cause reliability issues down the line.  The power supply is even more critical, sure you can get a "500w" PSU for under $20, then you can get 500w PSUs at around $50 - Getting the cheap one is pretty much the worst choice you could make in the entire build, it won't produce 500w, it'll be cheaply (and potentially dangerously made) and when it inevitably breaks, it will likely take other components with it.

fitnessfun

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »
          I'd recommend an FX 8350.
          Hardware for this Build:
          CPU - FX 8350 or Intel i5-4590 Haswell Refresh
          GPU - SAPPHIRE 100363L Radeon R9 280X $279  or GTX 770 02G-P4-2776-KR $325 after $30 rebate
          Ram - Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB or G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
          Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H
          Power Supply – Corsair CX 500M
          Case – Haf 912
          Hard Drive – Western Digital 1 TB HDD WD10EZEX
          Optical Drive: Asus DVD-RW

I found this legit video today too that has different gaming PC builds for a variety of different budgets. I think it will really help you out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWXR7Em-Yf0

Good luck

camerongray

Expert
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 04:01:31 PM »
          While an 8350 would be better (and an Intel platform even better than that), those builds don't take into account the cost of a licence for Windows which is pretty important, therefore that build would easily go over budget.

eQuilibrium

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »
             :-\

pcurtj1974

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 10:34:12 PM »
            If you buy the FX 8000 series or better or an i5 4th gen, you could skimp a bit on the video card. I have an AMD 8320 with a HD 4670 and it runs games just fine. I put it together just for the sake of trying out AMD and I was very impressed. The FX 8320 performs very similar to my OC'd i7 920.

If you have access to Microcenter you can buy a CPU/MB bundle and get 50$ off. They do not ship CPUs though. I bought the AMD bundle for 140.00 and got a decent ASUS motherboard. It runs hot so a better than stock fan is nice. I basically paid 500.00 for the whole system not including the OS.  Right now they are selling a 3TB HD for $99.99 ( WD AV-GP WD30EURX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ) Also paid only 30.00 for a Thermaltake Mid case.