Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Diagnostic & Repair Utility  (Read 7387 times)

02bin3

Diagnostic & Repair Utility
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:19:14 PM »
Is there a reliable program out there that will diagnose and repair problems with missing files, missing drivers and/or driver updates, missing .dll files, program conflicts, etc.  I know I'm asking a lot, but I've spent 3 days trying to track down why my computer is freezing up and running wickedly slow.  Windows Explorer is constantly going down especially if I try to Right Click on a file for the Menu for Cut, Paste, Delete, etc.  I've check the Device Manager and found 3 problems, however after visiting the manufacturer's website and downloading an Intel Chipset Driver, one of the yellow marked files with an exclamation point, just disappeared.  Windows is telling me that the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface has the most recent update, yet it is still showing a yellow marker with the exclamation point.  I've pulled every rabbit out of the hat that I know of so I was hoping there is a program that can help or is this something that I will have to use the Recovery disk for?  Thank you

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Diagnostic & Repair Utility
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 02:06:28 PM »
I have generally with systems like this, backed up all information to an external drive, and then install clean to the system, and then install a good antivirus first before reinstroducing the data back from the external HDD. And been done with it.

Drivers though can sometimes be a pain depending on the chipset, but generally Windows is pretty good at finding them, otherwise mfr website usually has them unless its a Gateway, Acer, eMachine or other low quality computer in which there is sometimes drivers missing for from these mfr sites and you then have to try to figure out what chipset is used and then go tot he chipset mfr website such as Intel's website for an old eMachine with Intel 845GL_VE chipset for integrated graphics driver etc since eMachines doesnt have this info or deleted this info from their support because of the age of the computer ( dropping support ) of legacy systems.

I'd go this route and then if you find after clean build that you need a driver etc, it can be installed cleanly and we can help if its a hard to find driver.

From the sounds of it this system has corruption and may have even been infected with maleware which attacks .dll files.

Lastly, sometimes corruption like this is pointing out a much greater problem which is that the hard drive may be damaged and the data on a section of the hard drive was damaged to the point that it is unrecoverable and so missing. I'd run a hard drive test scan on the drive to make sure you are working with a healthy hard drive, otherwise all the effort will be for nothing when say 2 days later the drive completely crashes. If you know the manufacturer of the hard drive you can download the manufacturers drive test tool to test the drive with. One test I use which you might not be able to use because of how bad off the system sounds is CrystalDiskInfo which reads HDD and SSD S.M.A.R.T data and lets you know within 10 seconds if your drive is troubled or not. http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

02bin3

Re: Diagnostic & Repair Utility
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:45:14 PM »
Thanks for your information, Dave.  I have CrystalDisk and I've attached the report I just did.  The HD seems to be fine.  It is probably the quietest computer I've ever owned so if it started grinding it would be immediately apparent.  I went the route of trying to get some of these Device Manager problems corrected through Lenovo and Intel by getting updates on drivers that may have been conflicting, but that didn't work out too well.  I've also noticed on my Task Manager that there is a process called (dllhost.exe) Com Surrogate that has been doing some weird things.  Sometimes it will just flash the Description on and off, but leave the rest of the line intact, and at other times when I open Task Manager & click for all processes, 2 Com Surrogate processes will show up and immediately disappear and not reappear unless I turn off Task Manager & then open it again.  I have no idea what those processes do even though I have googled it, I still haven't come up with an explanation that I understand for them.  I have Norton Antivirus, & 1-2 X a week I run, Malwarebytes, ccleaner & spybot.  Once a month I defrag.  I was so hoping that there was an alternative to reinstalling Windows 7 Pro as I have so very many programs that I will have to spend days downloading as my internet is hughesnet and they are soooooo slooooowww.  Thanks for your input and I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and start all over again.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]