Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Google Chrome/Bing/IE  (Read 4032 times)

PearlHarborFrog

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Google Chrome/Bing/IE
    « on: June 24, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »
    This may be long-winded, but here goes....
    Windows 7 Professional/32 bit/Pentium 3.0 GHz/4.0 GB
    This computer was given to me and my understanding is that it was constructed or modified by a guy who modified it for a specific purpose.  I ran a Driver diagnosis and was told that at least 13 drivers are out of date and that the Driver for my RAID controller is non-existent.  Also know that (I opened the cabinet) all of the USB ports on the front of the machine and the floppy disc port have been disconnected.  I'm not (Beginner) educated enough to know what I'm looking for or should be looking for, but I can certainly tell cut wires and missing equipment when I see it...The guy who gave it to me is not available anymore as he is now working for some dark section of the Government doing weird stuff for some of their covert programs....
    Attempted to install Google Chrome yesterday, and the area I live in is well known for power outages - Of course, I lost power when the Chrome was loading and when I got it back the entire Set-up routine was missing.  I managed to replace Bing with Google as my default but everything looks and acts weird and I keep getting asked if I want IE to be my SE, among other things.  Should I uninstall Chrome and start over?  If I uninstall Chrome do I have to reset my Default?, etc., etc...
    Anyway, as I have been out of and looking for work for over 2 years this computer (I was hoping) would assist in that search. 
    I am below broke - (1) Are there any REAL free driver diagnosis, download and/or update sites? (2) I need to get Chrome up and running properly. (3) I want to get completely rid of Bing and still use MSN as my Homepage with Google search.   Anybody who has any information, opinions, links, web sites, etc., etc. would be of great assistance.  Please remember, I am a neophyte and have to use the dictionary quite often to find out what others are referring to or talking about (i.e.: Search Engine/Browser/Default, etc.) and since I have no $$$ (street urchin) what I need to do may not be within the realms of possibility....help if you can, or want to... any replies to my e-mail would be [email protected] you :||x    ;D

email addy removed to prevent SPAM.
    « Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:47:13 AM by patio »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Google Chrome/Bing/IE
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:49:08 AM »
    Driver finder apps are garbage...
    Visit the MBoard manuf. 1st and DLoad and re-install all those...
    Then visit any other peripheral manuf. sites such as Vid card etc and do the same.

If it's a laptop the drivers should come ONLY from the laptop manuf. site.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

PearlHarborFrog

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 11:58:12 AM »
      Thank you, Maud' dib! SF since I was 8, and Frank absolutely blew me away...O.K., so I need to I.D. the mother board and the other devices/boards. Do I have to open this thing up to do that; is there a way to do that externally, or do I already have that information and just don't know I do?  Should I concentrate on updates and fixes before going after the program(ing)?  Should I uninstall Chrome first?  Not a laptop  ???  |V|

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »
      You can try 2 Free apps to determine whats in there...Speccy...or System Info for Windows.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »
      And yes i'd do the updates 1st...before tackling the other issues...but that's just me.