Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How often do you defragment?  (Read 33285 times)

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: How often do you defragment?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 09:52:39 PM »
I dont defrag since I dont really see the point in it.. My computer can't get any slower or faster then what it is now ;D I defragement once in my life time and really see no diffrence gor rid of alot of fragements whatever that means..

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 02:18:44 PM »
Why not?

Image files are just binary code spreadout over many a cluster.

This is just from personal experience...i was a Ghost user for years until Symantec ruined it. I now use Acronis True Image.
I have had both images become unstable after defragging the partition they were stored on...so i just don't do it anymore.

patio. 8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

THE_SAINT

Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 05:54:57 AM »
    which files can be considered junk files and how do they get on the hard drive?

Mac

How often do you defragment?
    « Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 07:37:04 AM »
    Which files can be considered junk files and how do they get on the hard drive?

Old .tmp , .bak , .chk , .log files, etc. which are no longer in use.

Old temporary internet files and all manner of stuff including old system restore points...

Click on the link below and run through the Disk Cleanup routine.

Mac

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 07:40:50 AM »
    This is just from personal experience.

I was a Ghost user for years until Symantec ruined it. I now use Acronis True Image.

I have had both images become unstable after defragging the partition they were stored on, so I just don't do it anymore.

patio. 8)

I use Image for Windows and burn the compressed image to a data DVD which is bootable.

Mac

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2005, 07:49:42 AM »
    I don't defrag since I dont really see the point in it.

My computer can't get any slower or faster then what it is now. I defragmented once in my lifetime and really see no difference.

You should be using defrag.exe from ME and probably a faster drive with a bigger buffer. An 8 MB buffer will run defrag four times faster than a 2 MB buffer.

I have seen '98se computers crawl to the desktop with drives 90% full with 85% fragmentation struggling on 64 MB of RAM and PII processors.

A good clean up, faster drive, more RAM (512 MB) and at least the type keeps up with the speed at which you press the keys.

You can always use Diskeeper Lite on '98se and then you have the same defrag as XP Home and Pro.

DISKEEPER LITE

gor rid of a lot of fragments whatever that means.

I'll drink to that!  ;)

Mac

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 07:54:09 AM »
    As I understand it a HD is made up of zillions of little elements that can be either magnetised or demagnetised thus forming the 1s & 0s that a computer uses to store/delete/overwrite information.

I read that over time these little elements can loose their magnetism and consequently the information can be corrupted.

In effect defrag reads each element & rewrites it, resulting in a freshly magnetised or demagnetised element.

That all sort of sounds feasible but I can't say I know it from 1st hand experience.

If that's how it works then defragging is more that just shuffling things around.

Any thoughts?

How are you calculating the bits per byte?

How many zillion per bit?  ???

Mac

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2005, 08:07:06 AM »
    Just installed the new CCLeaner with the natty new interface.

Came across this just yesterday...

...which matches nicely, and might make a nice Graphical User Interface colourscheme for Vista.

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #23 on: November 08, 2005, 01:37:49 PM »
      I didn't mention the number of bits per byte but if you feel the need to know then Google is your friend.
      It's just a number like 8.

How many zillion what per bit?

Is this a trick question?  :)

Windows98

Apprentice

• Yes
      I don't defrag
      « Reply #24 on: November 08, 2005, 01:52:12 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My computer with fragment files... Nothing really all that great... I don't feel a diffrence with computer speed when I defragment. Which I am not going to because it takes an eternity.  PS my computer only has 2 RAM Slot
      64MB +32 MB
      « Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 01:55:12 PM by Windows98 »

Mac

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2005, 04:58:23 PM »
      Might as well put the swap-file back on C: from the look of that.

What is the max for the two slots? 2 x 256 MB?

Windows98

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #26 on: November 08, 2005, 05:35:14 PM »
      Yep, my computer can hold 2 slots of PC100 @ 256MB. The thing is 256MB PC100 is super expensive at store. Being very careful with things I do not own a credit card.. Maybe I can send checks?  ;D Any way im not concern with buying RAM now. Since XP home edition requires a minimum of at least 64MB and I have 92 MB.  ::) How much if a preformance can I possibly get? When I got the 32 MB RAM from a computer at school they were throwing out and I put it in I did not see any preformance diffrent at all. Well maybe a little my applications open faster... some applications I can't even open in XP because I do not meet those application requirements  ;D

Will paging file C boost preformance at all? I only have it on D: Since the operating system is installed on that drive for some funny reason instead of C:

C:
      Windows 98SE
      Windows 2000NT

D:
      Windows ME
      Windows XP (home edition)

P.S. They are not partion drives I just hit clean install when installing them.. OUCH that really took up alot of space. Looks like reformating for me..... again. Well I reformat every year anyways.. ;D
      « Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 05:38:53 PM by Windows98 »