Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Someone Following Me Online?  (Read 7235 times)

HopeAcct

Someone Following Me Online?
« on: July 22, 2004, 11:16:46 AM »
Hello All,

This is my first time here and I really hope someone can help me out.

My question:  Is there a way someone can find out where another person is online, for example, an online public chatroom?  I sometimes chat at a public television network chatroom and this one person seems to know exactly which room I'm in at all times, despite the fact that I change chatrooms and chatnames each time I go in and I don't have a regular routine as for as the time I chat.  How can this be?  Has this person somehow hacked into my computer?  I've run SpyBot and I'm all clear and have found no viruses with Norton.

I know this is a strange request but I really would appreciate any input and help as this has been going on for quite awhile now and I'm thinking that if this person can find me there then I may have some sort of Trojan or virus and other things may be at risk (or, is there such a thing as IP "tracking" and, if so, how would that person do it in a public chatroom where IP addys are not logged?).  

Thank you for your time and help. :)

Raptor

Re: Someone Following Me Online?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 12:20:11 PM »
An online stalker. Aren't you the lucky one.

There is probably a unique ID binded to your account (IE: Cookie) and avaible to the people using the chatbox might be a command that allows them to search for that unique ID.

Unless you have accepted files from this person or you have given him your IP I seriously doubt he has hacked you.

Joleen

Re: Someone Following Me Online?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 05:12:27 AM »
Try changing your IP.