Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Really hot CPU on start up!!!  (Read 4046 times)

kyle151515

Really hot CPU on start up!!!
« on: August 19, 2014, 01:00:29 AM »
Hello, I just upgraded my gaming/video editing PC. I upgraded to the z97-pro asus mobo, and the haswell i7 4790k. I put it all in with the Corsair H90 (What I think it is...) water cpu cooler. I used the Artic Silver 5 thermal paste. I applied it using the grain of rice method. I pushed down and applied pressure. I pulled it back up, to wipe off and dab any excess that I believed would interfere or otherwise. Now I start up, no issue per say, and went into the bios setting to take a look. The CPU is sitting at 88 degrees Celsius. Now I am wondering, is there any possible reason why it would be this hot on start??? Too much paste or maybe bad CPU cooler??? I mean I just installed everything and started it five minutes ago. First time starting it...

p.s. The cpu cooler is the same I used on the i5 processor I took out. The i5 never got over 50 degrees Celsius. I think the highest the i5 got was 45 degrees Celsius under load. Just to state here as well, I opened up to feel the area around the CPU, and it does feel pretty warm...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Really hot CPU on start up!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 01:08:58 AM »
When installing a Heatsink on a CPU, any time you remove the Heatsink in any fashion you need to reapply the paste. I don't know the extent of your "pulling it back up" means, but it doesn't sound like it would let the Thermal Paste remain useful.

of course it also raises the question of how there could be any excess whatsoever if you did in fact only use an amount equal to a grain of rice.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

kyle151515

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 01:33:54 AM »
I did re-apply... I wanted to clean off the first set of thermal paste, and apply it with the thermal paste that I bought with it. Pulling it back, means I took it OFF, and LOOKED at it. I seen a little excess, or I guess I should say, an amount that concerned me, so I dabbed it off. The layer is a circular thin layer on both the cpu and water cooler heatsink. Made sure no thermal paste was close to the edges, since concern of it getting on the MOBO (Being extra cautious...) Anywho, is there anything that might be??? There was no possibility from the first reply.

kyle151515

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:16:06 AM »
Well, I wanted to try the stock heatsink/fan, on the CPU to see if things changed. Can't bloody do that considering the plastic crap screws/fastners that intel included with it, are just to big for the holes that asus pre-measured for it... Love it when companies don't look at something and just say "hmmm". Anywho, enough ranting/raving... All I can think of is maybe re-apply thermal paste, and attempt to get a bios update in. Bout in on my end...

kyle151515

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 05:00:21 AM »
Ok well I got the stock heatsink fan on there with modifications to the plastic screws with a pair of plyers... It's on their pretty firm, and it's spinning. The temp is at exactly 88 degrees Celsius again. So maybe MOBO??? Or is this CPU possibly bad???

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 06:28:41 AM »
So this is happening with the Corsair H90?  First of all, do not use the system if it is reaching that temperature.  Secondly, this sounds like the pump is not working properly.  Check that the cable from the pump is attached to a case fan header on your motherboard and that the fan on the radiator is connected to your CPU fan header.

You should also not need to "modify" the stock cooler, if you find yourself having to do this, you are putting it on wrong.

kyle151515

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »
The pump is working fine, it worked on the i5 no issues. And yes I had to modify it. Either asus brainiacs can't make proper holes for the coolers that come with the CPU's, when they know only two companies are making CPU's, or intel's stock cooler was made that way that for lol's... I would hate to think ill about either, but one of them screwed up. I even asked a fellow friend about it, and he said, " I hate that crap, as if we don't have standard sizes for MOBO mounts." Which tells me he has had the issue as well. Now, this is an ASUS z97-pro (Which I decided to get instead over the sabertooth, which btw, hello cameron xD.) There are a few switches in the board. All are disabled by default. They are the ez_xmp switch, which I don't think I need to mess with... There is TPU switch for the CPU ratio boost, that is off, so nothing on that...  Now the one I am wondering about, is the EPU switch on the board. It is stated for automatically detecting current PC loadings and intelligently moderate the power coonsumption. This is currently disabled, should I enable it and see if it helps???

p.s. The jumper for CLRTC (which I don't think matters in my case... ) is in the normal correct spot. And the jumper for CPU_OV is also in it's default spot of disabled. So nothing on that either.

kyle151515

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »
Oh btw, I forgot to put this, this temp sensor for the motherboard itself states the motherboard temp is idiling at about 27 degrees Celsius. So whatever the heat issue is, it revolves specifically around the CPU, I am assuming, at least...

kyle151515

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »
NVM, just tried the EPU switch on/enabled, didn't help. I am just gonna assume either the board or the CPU is in need here. I did everything by the book on this end, no overclocking enabled at all. So if there is anything anyone can think of trying, would be nice to hear.

kyle151515

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 02:37:48 PM »
Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but when I had the original motherboard and everything in, the mouse LED's would be off, when the computer was off. Now, the mouse LED's are constantly on, even with the PC off. Not sure if that means anything, but just throwing that out there.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 03:27:24 PM »
Hi

If the standard heat sink pins were to big for the holes then the black pins have already been pushed down. This is to lock the heat sink to the motherboard.
If you modified those mounts you wont be able to return the CPU.
The holes in the motherboard and the pins are a perfect fit on all boards. So there is something wrong with your method of installation if you have to do any modifications.   
Is the CPU clamp under the screw, not sitting on top of it?
Also is the is the heat sink compound thin ,evenly spread over the whole CPU ? 

Either not right will cause the CPU to run hot.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan