Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Matching Ram Sticks on Old Rig  (Read 4123 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Matching Ram Sticks on Old Rig
    « on: August 23, 2014, 05:42:13 AM »
    Re 12 year old HP 753n desktop, how important is it for RAM sticks to match? It has two slots. One has original 512MB stick and the other has a 3 year old 512MB stick added to increase total RAM to 1GB. Rig seems to work fine (now that it has a new HD) but I wonder if we could improve performance by spending a few bucks on a new Crucial 1GB (512MB x 2) kit? Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Matching Ram Sticks on Old Rig
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 06:55:23 AM »
    Biggest thing with memory is that you have the correct type.... such as ECC or NON-ECC, ( Most home computers use NON-ECC.

Then you have the correct size stick for the system, as for I have seen people accidentally purchase Laptop Memory for Desktops and the other way around.

Next FSB rating such as 266, 333, 400, 533, 667, 800Mhz, and so on and that they all match. * ( Sometimes you can underclock a stick to work with others such as adding a 400Mhz stick in a motherboard only rated for 333Mhz and paired with a 333Mhz stick, but its best to avoid mismatches to avoid problems. )

Next is checking to make sure that their latency is the same which is like CL2.5 or CL3 etc.

Next making sure the sticks do not exceed the maximum memory capacity per memory slot as specified in the motherboard or computer manufacturer support site. Such as some systems claim to support 4GB of RAM, but only 2GB per slot maximum, so you cant stuff a single 4GB stick into the motherboard, you need to instead get 2 x 2GB sticks for 4GB.

Lastly, if you have a system that is functional that can get online, you can run the crucial memory utility that will specify the memory your system should have in it. * Only warning here is that if it says you have 4 memory slots, be sure to check the motherboard to make sure it in fact does have 4 memory slots as for on a Biostar MCP6PB M2+ mATX motherboard that I have, it states that it can handle 4 sticks of memory, but there are only 2 memory slots available, so internally the memory controller may be reporting that it can address 4 slots, BUT only 2 slots are really available.

Here is the link to that Crucial memory Scan Utility: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner

*** If you want to mix memory and test to make sure that they are really running ok, you can download memtest86 and burn that to a CD etc and boot the system off of it and run it through about 3 to 5 full tests. If it starts to complain about memory addresses then you have a bad stick in the mix or they are not happy working together.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

As far as performance advantages go... your not going to squeeze much out of this system for noticeable gain. But if your system has 266Mhz memory in it and the motherboard supports 333, then installing 333Mhz in place of the 266 does have a performance impact. Also, your motherboard may or may not have dual-channel support. If it does have dual-channel support then if you install matched size pairs of sticks the data bus between the CPU and Memory takes advantage of dual-channels and so it can process data between CPU and RAM faster with less of a bottleneck. Dual-Channel slots are usually marked by different color plastic indicating the slots that are paired. So if you have 2 black and 2 blue plastic memory slots and have 2 x 1GB sticks and 2 x 512MB sticks, you would stuff the 2 x 1GB sticks into say the blue slots and then the 2 x 512MB sticks into the black memory slots. Your system will then boot with 3GB of RAM that is Dual-Channel. *If all slots are the same color, its more than likely just regular single-channel unless otherwise specified in the motherboard or computer manufacturer support site. ** Dual-Channel requires that the sticks paired in the dual-channel specific slots are the same capacity. Also if you had 3 sticks and a 4 slot motherboard its best not to have say 2 x 1GB sticks paired in the blue slot and then a single 1GB stick in the black slot with 1 slot empty as for this kind of undoes the dual-channel and your really sort of running 3GB single-channel. I am using the 3GB size as a reference here because with many older systems that do not support 64-bit OS, people usually try to go for maximum memory which is 3GB for Windows XP 32-bit and Windows 7 32-bit for 32-bit CPU's.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »
      Thanks Dave. I will run the diagnostics. This PC has only two DIMM slots so I assume it does not
      have dual channel capability. From what I can find, MB can handle only 266 MHz Ram. I do not think there are any system improvements, but I was wondering if a 12 year old RAM stick coupled with a much newer, unmatched stick may not be as good as two new matched ones. Wishful thinking?

PS I did read (well, thoroughly skimmed) the Intel white paper for the 845G chipset and have to admit I can not decipher it.
      « Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:48:15 AM by artbuc »

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »
      I do not think there are any system improvements, but I was wondering if a 12 year old RAM stick coupled with a much newer, unmatched stick may not be as good as two new matched ones. Wishful thinking?

With 266Mhz DDR RAM, latency improvements are probably the only area of performance increase, but the performance increase would only really be noticeable on a benchmark, not at the user performance level.

I say if you have 2 sticks that work ok together, are the amount of memory you need or maximum supported, and pass the memtest86, then just run it the way that it is.

What kind of application is this system going to be used for? Games or just surfing etc. If games, what games?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »
      Here's what crucial.com has for you: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-memory-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-753n

But, I'm not suggesting new RAM is a good idea.  Run the test advised by DaveLembke.  If it passes, I doubt you would realize any significant gain by replacing your old RAM.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
        With 266Mhz DDR RAM, latency improvements are probably the only area of performance increase, but the performance increase would only really be noticeable on a benchmark, not at the user performance level.

I say if you have 2 sticks that work ok together, are the amount of memory you need or maximum supported, and pass the memtest86, then just run it the way that it is.

What kind of application is this system going to be used for? Games or just surfing etc. If games, what games?

Very light applications. A little internet surfing, Verizon webmail and  occasional excel or word.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
          Here's what crucial.com has for you: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-memory-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-753n

But, I'm not suggesting new RAM is a good idea.  Run the test advised by DaveLembke.  If it passes, I doubt you would realize any significant gain by replacing your old RAM.

Yep, I already ran this. From what I read, the CPU limits the utilized speed to 2100. Do you agree this rig is single channel only? Thanks. Will let you know results of diagnostics sometime next week when I get back to that PC.

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 01:49:18 PM »
          Yes... I agree single channel. Btw Memtest86 will display if its running in Single or Dual Channel config.