Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restore always gives an error  (Read 4253 times)

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Restore always gives an error
    « on: August 24, 2014, 12:39:09 PM »
      I have Windowa 7  64 bits and service pack 1.  Sometimes I get a page I can't get rid of or I try to fix something I messed up so  I use Restore to clear the problem and get back to a time when I know everything is good.  The program runs and I can tell I have been restored to a previous time.  HOWEVER at the end I get the following error message.   "System Restore did not complete sucessfully.   Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.   Details:  An unspecified error occurred during system restore.  (Oxc0000022)"  I paid to have the error fixed but after 3 tries and no sucess I gave up.  As far as I could tell they deleted the restore program and reinstalled it.  After each time when I tried to restore I got the same error message.  This is not a big deal with me because I do not use the computer much and I don't  know much about computers.  If some one can tell me how to get rid of the error message, fine.   I know this is a long post and it may not be in the right place.  Please put it in the right place.   Thanks for your time.     Bob 

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Restore always gives an error
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »
    Stop using system restore and start using disc imaging software. You'll free up a great deal of space, Disc Imaging is much more reliable, and you'll always have a safe haven.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »
    Ditto!

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
      Allan & Geek-9pm -
      Thanks for your replies.  I guess I will have to find some body to help me with a disc.  I have tried disc but it never worked right.  Like I have said I'm not very smart about computers.    Bob

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 02:21:30 PM »
      You can save disc images to discs, a second internal hard drive, or - best option - an external hard drive. Disc images should be done on a regular basis.

If you want something more detailed about creating images I can post something I put together a while back for another site.

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 03:57:09 PM »
        Allan -
        I would be glad to read what you have.  Any help I can get will be appreciated.    Bob

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »
        Here you go Bob. I'm sure I've posted it here before, but no harm in doing it again:

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.

I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect. 

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.

2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.

3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.

4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »
          Allan -
          OK  I copied your post so that I can follow easier when I try to make an image.  I will have to get a dvd or a hard drive.  Thanks for your help.  This will give me something to do when it is too hot to do yard work.  Where I live it does get hot!!!    Bob

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 09:57:11 PM »
          Sometimes I get a page I can't get rid of or I try to fix something I messed
          Can you post what error of program and is its a startup message?

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »
            json2074 -
            What I was referring to was one time I clicked on one of the pages where someone claims that you have 1546  bad things in your computer and they can get rid of them and your computer will run 5 times faster.  I'm sure you know what I did.  I clicked on the page and could not get rid of it.  When I clicked on the red x I got a clear screen but when I tried to call up my home page I got their page instead.  Somewhere I got the name "Plum Choice" and I contacted them by phone, as I could not use my computer.  They fixed the problem but  I had to pay for my mistake.    If you will refer to my first post you will see my problem was "restore".  Allan gave me a solution which I will follow.    Thank you for your post.  I hope I made everything plain.     Bob

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 03:27:38 PM »
            You got scammed...tell us which one it was and we'll suggest on a removal ...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »
              patio -
              I don't remember what web site I was on when the problem came up.  I think I was reading all of the posts and someone said that "Plum Choice" was a helpful site to get problems fixed.  I got in contact with them and they fixed the problem.  Of course I had to pay for their service. I did not ask your help as I had to make contact by phone as I could not use my computer. Plum Choice did a good job and one of the men I talked to said that he was familiar with Computerhope!  Thanks for your offer but all my problems are solved at least temporarily.     Bob

bobhlgh

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »
                Allan -
                I am reopening this post because I need help.  I got the restore program from Macrium as you suggested.  Of course I took the free copy which they don't support.  I ran the back up easily. HOWEVER, when I tried to run a restore I got to a point and could not go farther.   The panel said "Please reboot your PC with Windows PE rescue media"  I have the Windows PE on a disk .   Reboot to me means turn the computer off and turn it back on.  That does not work.  There is a space that says OK. When I click on that a page comes up that says "operation canceled".   Can you offer anything or another company?    Bob