Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problematic reinstall of W7  (Read 3115 times)

jeffk

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    problematic reinstall of W7
    « on: September 22, 2014, 08:07:18 AM »
    Acer 5732Z (laptop)
    W7 Ultimate x64

due to problems & performance getting gradually slower i decided to do a fresh OS install....i've now got a few 'teething problems' i need help with:

1) I backed up everything i needed before reinstall, so windows isn't helping me by keeping the 2 'Windows.old' folders (one is nearly 33GB) - just a waste of disc space. i've tried deleting windows.old, but keep being told i need administrator permission, even when logged in as admin....frustrating! I'd like to just completely format or wipe the drive then reinstall the OS again
             what's the best approach &/or software?

2) Also, for when i've done what i've asked about above....... I use an external monitor alongside the laptop's screen to have an extended desktop - before the new install i could right click on the desktop, select "output to laptop only", choose the extended desktop scheme/profile i'd set up, or go into an intel graphics properties dialogue................that's all gone
            any suggestions on how to get it back?

3) i've just realised that there's an unneeded  20GB windows.old folder on my other laptop that i can't delete - is there any way of getting rid of it without reformatting/wiping the drive?

any help much appreciated!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: problematic reinstall of W7
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:30:52 AM »
    1) Boot to your Windows dvd, format the drive, install.
    2) Be sure to install all appropriate drivers after the install starting with the chipset driver.
    3) You can use Disc Cleanup to delete the Windows.old folder. Alternatively, you can take ownership of it and then delete it (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/)

jeffk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »
      I decided to try deleting before reformatting so i used the TakeOwnership registry hack & it worked great................mostly. Although most of the contents went, I still wasn't able to delete the windows.old directory as a whole - taking ownership of the parent directories didn't seem to necessarily grant ownership of all sub directories, sub sub directories etc. Even after I'd gone through & taken ownership of each individual folder left some still wouldn't delete. In the end i used Disc Cleanup to get rid of the rest & it worked, so I'm not sure what the advantage of using Take Ownership was.....except that I learned some new stuff! I guess it can be used for individual files, though some Flash files in windows.old couldn't be deleted even after owning them.

Strangely, the TakeOwneship hack worked fine on the other laptop (the one I hadn't just reinstalled the OS on).

I knew about updating the chipset driver, but forgot in my stressed state!!

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 12:29:56 PM »
      I suspect that your computer is infected with malware.
      You may wish to scan your computer with a  bookable anti-virus CD.
      Please read this earlier post.
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=143537.0
      That leads to a list of free software. Yuo must have a working computer and a CD writer to prepare a CD.

jeffk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:53:18 PM »
        thanks, i'll have a look at those, but what is it specifically that makes you think it's malware?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:24:07 PM »
        Because you could not take ownership.
        Malware File Ownership is documented elsewhere.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
        Based on your posts, there is nothing to indicate malware (that's not to say it definitely isn't infected, but there's no apparent reason to think it is). I wouldn't worry about that. If everything is working well, you should be good to go. And you're welcome :)