Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advice for new build  (Read 2867 times)

datguy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Experience: Familiar
    Advice for new build
    « on: September 30, 2014, 01:41:43 PM »
    My PC:

Budget: $800

Components:

Total: $715.96

Grand Total: $687.97 (No tax, Free shipping, and a 27.99 dollar discount on cpu, mobo, RAM combo)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Advice for new build
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »
    Everything there looks good... only advice I have on this is if you look at the feedback for the AMD FX 8350 CPU some have claimed that the stock CPU cooler may have to be replaced with a better cooler/heatsink. So when you get it up and running, be sure to monitor the temps and be sure that the CPU is not roasting with the stock heatsink... other info i have heard about the stock heatsink is that they seem to install hard as if they are out of spec... i have been keeping an eye on this CPU for over a year now and peoples feedback on this CPU I have checked on from time to time. At some point I hope to get this CPU, but the hold back right now is that the system I have for gaming with the quadcore is actually plenty, so having this 8 core would be just to have an overkill CPU.

Also, I assume you already have an OS for this? Or was this forgotten in the purchase to where you might be over budget if a Windows OS is needed etc.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Advice for new build
    « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 05:17:01 AM »
    You really need to work on the balance between your power supply and other components, 1000w is ridiculously overkill for any single GPU system, to put it in perspective a 750ti based PC is happy with a 300w PSU.  Not only does an overspecced power supply cost money, it will also run inefficiently and waste power (A PSU works best at over 20% load, your system won't come close to that).

You should drop the power supply you have down to a decent 550w-650w unit (Something from XFX would be a good choice) and use the money you save to get a better video card like a GeForce 760 (The 750ti is a pretty basic card).

I would also recommend moving to an Intel Core i5 based system as this will generally be better in most situations, especially gaming.

Also look into an SSD, possibly at a later date.