Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 crashed 4 months after my hard drive crashed  (Read 5030 times)

epeery0654

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows 7 crashed 4 months after my hard drive crashed
    « on: October 04, 2014, 12:35:26 PM »
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit -- Service Pack 1

Processor: Pentium (R) Dual-core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz
    Installed memory: 4.00 GB
    Hard Drive: Western digital black 500GB

Ran a Debug on my dump file from September 18, but I don't know what any of it means. Yesterday, it blue screened again, but it was able to run a startup repair this time. I don't know if that has fixed the problem.

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
    A driver is causing an inconsistent power state.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 00000003, A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time
    Arg2: 85dceb60, Physical Device Object of the stack
    Arg3: 82936ae0, Functional Device Object of the stack
    Arg4: 889cb158, The blocked IRP

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows 7 crashed 4 months after my hard drive crashed
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »
    Download BlueScreenView:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
    unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
    when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
    Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
    Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

epeery0654

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 02:00:20 PM »
      ==================================================
      Dump File         : 091814-30014-01.dmp
      Crash Time        : 9/18/2014 4:23:43 PM
      Bug Check String  : DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
      Bug Check Code    : 0x0000009f
      Parameter 1       : 0x00000003
      Parameter 2       : 0x85dceb60
      Parameter 3       : 0x82936ae0
      Parameter 4       : 0x889cb158
      Caused By Driver  : ntkrnlpa.exe
      Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+dce3c
      File Description  : NT Kernel & System
      Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
      Company           : Microsoft Corporation
      File Version      : 6.1.7601.18409 (win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
      Processor         : 32-bit
      Crash Address     : ntkrnlpa.exe+dce3c
      Stack Address 1   : ntkrnlpa.exe+3c024
      Stack Address 2   : ntkrnlpa.exe+3b8b8
      Stack Address 3   : ntkrnlpa.exe+6a16d
      Computer Name     :
      Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\091814-30014-01.dmp
      Processors Count  : 2
      Major Version     : 15
      Minor Version     : 7600
      Dump File Size    : 359,784
      Dump File Time    : 9/18/2014 5:02:05 PM
      ==================================================

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
      1) Have you recently installed any new hardware?
      2) Have you recently installed or updated any drivers?
      3) Is Windows Updated set to automatically update drivers?
      4) Please open device manager. Are there any yellow or red symbols?
      5) Are you doing anything specific when you get the bsod?

epeery0654

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 02:52:34 PM »
        1) Have you recently installed any new hardware?
        When my hard drive crashed at the end of April, I had to re-install everything once I got the new one. Then when the operating system crashed a couple of weeks ago, I had to do everything you do to re-install a new operating system because none of the repairs would work.

2)Drivers up to date?
        In the device manager, it appears as if everything is ok. No yellow or red symbols. Windows update is set to automatically update all important updates.

3) When I have had some recent problems, I have been using Microsoft Office products... Excel, Word. But I frequently have at least Google Chrome open and a Word document/Excel spreadsheet.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 04:09:56 PM »
        Okay - first of all in the future you need to tell us everything in your first post. All of this information is important in troubleshooting.

The error you are getting is most often caused by either new hardware or a problem with a driver. From where did you obtain the drivers (laptop drivers should always and only be obtained from the website of the laptop manufacturer). If you got them from anywhere other than the Dell website, you need to replace them with the Dell drivers. The way to do that is to go to the Dell support website, enter your service tag number, and download and install the appropriate drivers for your system.

You said you reinstalled the OS. Since it was a new hd, you couldn't have done that from a recovery partition so I have to ask two questions: First, did you install the same OS as was originally installed when the system shipped? And second, did you use an original, retail OS disc or a disc provided by Dell or something else?

And last, since MS Office seems to be involved are you using an original, legitimate copy of Office?

epeery0654

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 05:28:40 PM »
          I have used all the legitimate ways of installing every thing. I have a Windows 7 disc and I download Microsoft Office through my university. I don't know how the drivers were installed when I put the new hard drive in, I just let the computer start running and updating things on its own.

I just ran a diagnostic on Dell's website and it says,

"Replace Hard Drive. Your hard drive is operating outside of normal parameters and should be replaced. Consider reviewing the No BOOT section in this Dell Knowledge Base article to identify the most common solutions for your Hard Drive. "

It is still under warranty because I just got it in May, so I can replace it again. But can you guess as to what has happened to this one since I don't seem to have a malware or virus problem according to those sorts of software. I believe that to be the reason why it crashed in April.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 04:06:56 AM »
          I don't know what you mean about drivers installing on their own. Drivers don't install on their own. If you are using a Windows 7 dvd, after installation you need to go to the Dell website and download and install all appropriate drivers starting with the chipset driver. If you are using a regular Windows 7 dvd (and not an OEM install disc) didn't install the drivers, I have no idea how they were installed.

epeery0654

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »
            Ok so it sounds like that is probably the source of the problems when I didn't download at least the chipset driver first. I went ahead and downloaded but its happened out of order. (I don't know how to uninstall drivers, so I can re-install them in order)

Do you think the damage has already been done on this hard drive or is there a way to fix it?

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 12:13:42 PM »
            Sorry, I always say chipset driver first because in the "old days" that's how it had to be done. These days it really doesn't make a difference. If you went to the Dell website and downloaded and installed the drivers from there you should be okay.

From your second post above it only shows 1 bsod. If you've only had one or two I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it. However, if it continues to happen please publish a Speccy report:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.
            • Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
            • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
            • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
            • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
              p22004369.gif
            • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
            • You will see the following prompt:
              p22004371.gif
            • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
              p22004372.gif
            • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
            • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!