Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Spoofing MAC address to get Roku to connect to free hotel wifi  (Read 16433 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Spoofing MAC address to get Roku to connect to free hotel wifi
« on: September 30, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »
While out on business trip, I ended up buying a Roku from Walmart and soon found out that in order to use it at the Marriott, that I would have to use my laptop to spoof the wireless network with the same MAC address of the Roku in order to use the browser to accept the free wireless terms and conditions in which the hotels network gives a 7-day lease to allow wireless internet.

I attempted to do this first with my Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and couldnt figure out how to change the wireless adapters MAC address.

Fortunately I also brought my Toshiba Netbook with me running Windows XP Home SP3 which allowed me to easily edit the MAC address to that of the same as the Roku ( with the Roku not powered ) to accept the wireless terms and conditions for 7 free days of use, and then I was able to set my netbook MAC address back to the original that I wrote down before spoofing it as the Roku's MAC address.

I then was able to turn on the Roku and watch TV shows on Crackle and Netflix etc.

Question I have is, is there a utility out there that allows for ease of editing of a wireless adapters MAC address with Windows 7? ....  since its easy on the netbook running Windows XP, but I couldnt find a way to quickly do it with Windows 7 without for example one person suggesting a registry edit to alter the mac address.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Re: Spoofing MAC address to get Roku to connect to free hotel wifi
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:43:03 AM »
Thanks Jason ... This looks like it should do the trick. Thanks for pointing this out. Interesting that it also has a random mac address generator too. Looking forward to playing with this software when I get home from work.
 :)

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Re: Spoofing MAC address to get Roku to connect to free hotel wifi