Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to Use iPad Hotspot with Windows PC  (Read 5427 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Unable to Use iPad Hotspot with Windows PC
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:32:27 PM »
This is a sporadic issue, and I can't for the life of me crack it.

I have an AT&T data plan, with "Personal Hotspot" activated.

When I turn it on (ooooh!) to connect via WiFi, one of four things happens:

- Everything works flawlessly
- I see the iPad, with an all-green signal strength indicator, in my little wireless Network Connection, and when I try to connect, it thinks for a moment and then gives me "Windows is unable to connect to iPad." and the Troubleshoot options thing brings me nowhere
- Exact same as above, although the wireless strength indicator is clear
- "No connections are available"

Sometimes I get the "No Connections Available", and a minute or so later, it connects on its own.

I can't figure out a pattern, or any rhyme or reason, as to when I get things to work fine vs. the other three bad conditions.

I have rebooted. I have flushed the DNS cache and rebooted. I've flicked my antenna switch (on PC) on and off a whole bunch.
I've restarted my iPad. I've reset Network connections. I've followed Apple's advice screen (which is, turn the wireless off, turn the hotspot off, turn the wireless on, turn the hotspot on). I've turned cellular data on and off. I've cursed. I've thrown stuff. I almost snapped my phone in half (and it's just sitting there, innocent).

I can connect using the iPad as a hotspot using the USB cable.

What else can I try/do??

Thanks for any help, I'll take your answer off the air.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.