Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help!!! Labtop Hard Drive  (Read 12511 times)

night_hawk13

Please help!!! Labtop Hard Drive
« on: July 22, 2004, 11:59:25 PM »
The original hard drive on my labtop recently went bad so I bought a new one, I loaded the recovery disc into my computer and loaded the operating system (windows me) and it says everthing is fine, reboot your computer. I reboot and I get "General error, failed writing to drive C: ) When I try to reload my recovery discs a second time it says it cannot create partition, all disk space is currently in use. This is the second hard drive this has happened on in a row so Im pretty sure its not the drive. I was thinking perhaps the IDE cable? But I really have no idea please help!!!

Raptor

Re: Please help!!! Labtop Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 03:57:18 AM »
Did you format before you attempted to write anything onto the hard disk?

night_hawk13

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 11:49:15 AM »
I thought the recovery disc that came with the labtop would format it for me. So I guess no I havnt formatted. I dont have any floppys atm is there anyway to make a boot disc onto a CD-R?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 04:32:12 PM »
I am not aware wheter that is possible or not. Perhaps you should take a look on a website that provides people with bootdisks in order to determine if it can be done or not.

night_hawk13

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 05:13:34 PM »
Well I installed the book disc, and formatted my hard drive, but when it comes to 100% it says format complete, next line is could not create boot, next line format aborted. Im about to trow the thing out the window.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 06:25:47 PM »
Download the diagnostic tools from the manufacturer of the hard drive you bought.

2k dummy

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 06:46:24 PM »
Did you Fdisk before format?

night_hawk13

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 12:44:25 PM »
Yes I formatted, now can anyone give me some ideas on what it might be, insted of more questions?

2k dummy

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 01:06:31 PM »
You did not answer my question. I didn't ask if you formatted, I asked if you ran Fdisk BEFORE you formatted.

night_hawk13

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 01:08:18 PM »
No I didnt, but now it wont let me erase the partitions or delete anything off the HD without an error.

2k dummy

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 01:44:02 PM »
Boot the machine with a boot disk. At the A> prompt type fdisk and press enter. Choose to delete any existing partitions. Next choose to create a primary DOS partition and make it active. If you get prompted for large disk support, choose yes (y). Let Fdisk run without any interuption. When it completes, at the A> prompt type format c: /s and the disk will be reformated and the sytem files transferred to it. You should now be able to see the drive and change to it.

night_hawk13

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2004, 01:49:11 PM »
the format C: /s command doesnt work with windows me, and I have tried that, I still get error writing boot.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 01:52:18 PM by night_hawk13 »

2k dummy

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2004, 02:00:18 PM »
Try the command sys c: . But you really need to run Fdisk.

night_hawk13

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2004, 02:01:28 PM »
Ok just so no one asks me anymore questions and perhaps I can get a few more answers, When I boot up my computer from the hard drive it says General error writing to drive C: . When I try to use my recovery disc and use the option restore operating system I get "image error" cannot create partition, all disk space is currently in use. When I try to run fdisk and delete the partitons and create new ones I get error writing fixed disk.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 02:02:12 PM by night_hawk13 »

merlin_2

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2004, 02:41:37 PM »
Your recovery disks were made for your old drive which had an image on it?what laptop is this?