Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 'Reintroducing' Myself to a Network  (Read 3351 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
'Reintroducing' Myself to a Network
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:27:03 PM »
When I checked into this hotel, I had to "register" (for lack of a better word) with the inroom Wi Fi network. The first time I launched the browser, it gave me the option for "regular" or "enhanced" service, for the length of my stay.

I would like to change the level of service, but I can't get back to that initial screen. If I delete the network from Windows' Network and Sharing Center, when I sign back on, it shoots me straight to my home page. If I flush DNS, same thing.

What else can I try - other than checking out and checking back in (and even then, I never had to type in my room number, so how would it know if I checked in or not)?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: 'Reintroducing' Myself to a Network
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:44:29 PM »
Some questions.
Where are you? USA? UK? Australia?
Have you asked the management?
Have you talked to another guest  in the same hotel?
Have you asked the maid?
Your laptop has a MAC** that identifies it uniquely, so even changing  IP may not help. You need to use another computer.

A media access control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to network interfaces for communications on the physical network segment. MAC addresses are used as a network address for most IEEE 802 network technologies, including Ethernet and WiFi.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »
USA
No - it's midnight. The desk clerk has no clue.
No - it's midnight. The other guest I know in the hotel looks to me for advice.
No - it's midnight. No maids around. Nor room attendants. And I would bet 1000 bucks they wouldn't no.

I figured it was tied to the MAC but wasn't sure if there was a way to re-force the handshake.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 10:10:20 PM »
You can't borrow another laptop from anybody?
Ask anybody if the have a spare external USB Wi-Fi adapter. Disable the radio in your laptop and install the spare adapter. It will have a separate MAC and that should make the log in start over.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 10:21:43 PM »
Sadly, I don't know anyone with spare laptops.

Or with spare external Wi Fi adapters (who would carry one of those??!)

I don't have the option to change my MAC address in Device Manager. Any other thoughts?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
So is the connection good enough? Do you want the Hotel to give you better service or reduce the cots? Either way, ask for it. Hotels in the USA are ripping people off. Tell them you had no idea about the pricing plan for Internet access. That is a legitimate complaint. Economy Hotels give you free Internet. The big ones overcharge. And the charges are seldom reasonable.  The rooms already have cable TV. adding Internet should only add 50 certs a day to the cost of a good room.
http://www.ibtimes.com/why-do-expensive-hotels-charge-wi-fi-when-cheaper-hotels-dont-1705568
And the Hotels on the East Coast are among the worst for this. Also, if you are in a major chain you can call the 800 number and complain. Even at midnight.