Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow internet speeds(suspucting wiring)  (Read 12640 times)

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Slow internet speeds(suspucting wiring)
    « Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 05:38:52 AM »
    Yeah the speeds im geting been this way since I can remember .
    Im with club telco at adsl2+ speeds it does not say anywhere on their site about any speeds I looked for ages when I signed up thats why I assumed it was a normal speed to be getting until the isp told me different.

the exchange is 395 meters away with 652 meters of cable between me and it appoximatly

Where would I locate the NID if its in the street I cant access it too many cars come past I cheaked under my house and I just goes into pipes in the ground I looked around my property line but I couldnt see anything that might even be it

also I want to thank you for your support and time aswell as everyone else who has contributed to this forum
    intel i7 4930k with corsair liquid cooling
    geforce GTX titan 3gb super-clocked
    corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
    intel 120gb SSD
    gigabyte x79-p4 motherbord
    corsair cubecase

MichaelNyby

Beginner
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: Slow internet speeds(suspecting wiring)
      « Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 05:45:40 AM »
      The NID would not be out in a public place because it is for your phone company and you.  Normally it is mounted on the outside wall of the residence.  So just follow the line from where you saw it popped out of the ground and you'll find the NID, for sure.  It has to be on the house where the phone company can get at it.  And where you can get at it to do anything that needs doing from it into your residence.  You and the phone company sort of share the NID.  Them on one side and you on the opposite side.

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 05:58:12 AM »
        Ok thanks if I definatly have one im going hunting tomorrow haha thanks
        corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
        intel 120gb SSD
        corsair cubecase

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 01:23:52 AM »
          i cannot find the NID my house is about 20years old you sure i have one? i got rid of the second phone line because i found out my uncle installed it and spliced into the main phone line. So i cau before the splice and now i just got one pnone line and it goes straight outside into the ground, i looked all around my house and nothing cant find anything that resembles a NID
          corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
          intel 120gb SSD
          corsair cubecase

MichaelNyby

Beginner
            « Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 06:42:48 AM »
            Okey-dokey, but I'm only popping in for a moment to let you know that I have to get some serious sleep.  My visit over to Google on another matter early this morning my time went very, very weird and I had to give up about two hours of time to document the weirdness and then post about it and all the necessary other stuff and I managed only 5 and bit hours of sleep and then today it was busy, busy, busy.  So I'm about dead.

But I won't forget to get back here.

Sure does sound like something is a bit weird about your wiring and after I saw those four other wires in that image I really was thinking that you were looking at an extension plug there, so maybe that was correct because of your last post giving a little history on that place.

Oh yes, and I am really hoping somebody else or two or three will offer some tips or thoughts or anything of help in this thread.

One thing is very clear, though, you were not wrong to delay any tech visit because there being no easy to find NID would have had the tech person having cash drawer bells ringing in his/her head.  I would have loved to have heard that tech person's call back to his/her boss -- "Boss, you ain't gonna believe how much we can soak this guy for!  His wiring is a sheer joy to not see!!  Ding-ding-ding -- money-money-money!!!"

So it's best you get a handle on the situation before any of those tech folks show up at your place.

And you wrote you have been doing okay with that slower speed up to now, so no need to rush into things, right?

What did that big fella say in that movie?  --  I'll be back.  -- But not like he did driving that truck into that place.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 09:32:32 AM »
            Normal procedure is to NOT use the wires directly.
            One must use a standard connector to install filters and install the modem.

Is this the company that serves you?
            http://www.clubtelco.com/
            They  do not say what speeds are available.They have a live chat online.

I have not have any connection with that company, I live in California.
            Maybe talking to the tech sport will provide more information.

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 11:42:25 AM »
              I use an ADLS filter plugged to a home phone and the modem its not directly plugged into the socket. I plugged straight into the socket with the modem for an isolation test got the same speeds. The i did this again with the come phone and it was perfectly fine no static or anything. Already talked to club telco they just said they will send a tech out but its so expensive I was to make sure its not on my end of the exchange cause then I get charged
              corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
              intel 120gb SSD
              corsair cubecase

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »
              Already talked to club telco they just said they will send a tech out but its so expensive I was to make sure its not on my end of the exchange cause then I get charged
              This is the same story we hear from other companies. They can not charge you for work on their won wires. But they can charge you for work on the interrior wires. But who determines that internal wires are at fault?

You may hare to complain to the commission the the Tesco is not doing work on their stuff. The tel co has the testing tools needed to confirm their equipmewnt is working. But they want your to pay for the visit.

You have to complain!

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 02:56:23 PM »
                You may hare to complain to the commission the the Tesco is not doing work on their stuff. The tel co has the testing tools needed to confirm their equipmewnt is working. But they want your to pay for the visit.

You have to complain!

Do I have a let to stand on if I complain? From my understanding its in my wires that are faulty its my responsibility. But its its not my wires I dont get charged a penny. Personally I think if I complain they will just say the same thing... thoughts??
                corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
                intel 120gb SSD
                corsair cubecase

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 05:18:07 PM »
                The wire code varies from one place to another and even varies in the same area.
                Look here:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_telephone_sockets
                Notice the photos at the bottom of the page. I can not tell you which wires to use. Ifa the socket was wired right, it works on  both the modem and the phone.
                As I mentioned earlier, connecting right to the wire is a mistake useless you have the means to verify it. The connector of the end of the phone cord is the right one for your area.

The bandwidth you get indicates that you choose  are on the wrong wires. If it is a six wire cable, thee are about 15 ways to get it wrong. I think.
                1 way is right. 14 ways wrong.

Just plug a phone into a jack. The phone works? That  it is the right pair. Now plug  the modem into the same socket.

To use the modem and phone on the same socket at the same time, you use a splitter.

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                  « Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »
                  Geek-9pm might be right about a need to complain, but it would be best to be sure what exactly your complaint is going to be.

From what you wrote about something your uncle did there may be a problem with you right away calling the tech folks to look at things.  They may make the claim that you tampered with something that shouldn't have been tampered with.  They may not care about an excuse that you didn't do it — that your uncle did it.  And that claim they make against you could allow them to add a lot more extra money to any bill they present you with.

Anyway, what's the rush?  Just take this step-by-step and see where this goes.

And that's where I think we are right now — where does that line that comes out of the ground go?  Directly through a wall into your house?

I know you wrote you've got one phone line that goes straight outside and goes into the ground, but let us confirm the situation coming from the other direction, please.  The one line comes out of the ground and is eventually somehow fastened to a wall and crawls across the wall, so to speak, and at some point goes directly into that same wall and into your house?  No images, please, as I get uncomfortable with folks posting images of their home on the Net, because it may not be so smart from a security point of view.

So maybe you could describe how that line/wire is fastened to your home after it exits the ground?  How long is the line before it enters through some sort of hole into your house?

And the hole it goes through looks like what?  Professional type of look to it?  Has a kind of sheath protecting the line as it enters the house?

Then the next thing would be to explain what you see inside the house right at that spot where the line came in?  Does it come out of the wall at the exact spot where it entered from the outside?

As to the last post Geek-9pm did about simply using the jack itself and not any of the actual wires, I agree.  Should be no need to use the wires unwrapped from a wire bundle.

But I don't understand the need for a splitter for the line to the phone.  I thought there was a plug/socket/whatever on the modem that went to the phone and another that goes to the computer.  Only time I have used a splitter was when I have had more than one computer hooked to the modem.  But things may be different in other countries.

So, yes, using the jack/plug/socket (whatever it's called) should be first choice over using wires unwound from a wire bundle.

BUT I think you are still going to have to figure out this businees of not being able to find the NID.  That one may come back to bite you in the *censored* at a later date if you ignore it because you got better Net connection speeds.  Something about that seems sort of weird.  And if you go messing about with telephone company lines I think legal problems may pop up.  But I am no Perry Mason and that idea may be way wrong.

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 06:26:29 PM »
                    About the wiring my uncle did, I had a sparky come and pull it out, no difference.

Ok so the line come out of the ground on the outside of my house right up againt a brick wall in a plastic tube thing (dont know the correct name) the tube is only 15 cm before it enter the brick, then it goes into the brick through a small hole under the house for about 7 meters and goes directly up the wall caverty come out the wall into the plate that is mounted onto the wall. From there it has a standard rj11 phone plug. I use the adsl/telephone splliter straight from there one plug for the telephone and the other for my modem. I have tried plugging the modem it without a splitter no difference.

the hole does not look too professional nothing it protecting it although it look to be in good nic.

About the NID I have been doing ALOT of reading hah and a couple post say that in Australia not all houses have them. Unless mine in underground I think im one of those houses...

Thanks geek9am so even though both my phone and modem work even net is slow speeds it could still be the wrong one? A licence person defiantly wires this one up as it is my main point it came with the house

one again thank you all for your input it is helping me out alot. I might just bute the bullet and get a tech if I get charged ill complain, thought?

corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
                    intel 120gb SSD
                    corsair cubecase

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                      « Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »
                      My view is you should at least be told by the company what your speeds should be.  If they won't tell you that I'd say something is wrong.

Not sure how you approach these sorts of interactions with companies, but I always keep a log of all calls.

So this time you can use the approach that you called on a such-and-such a date and forgot to ask what speeds you should be getting.  Sound contrite, like it's all your fault, and you'll be more likely to get an answer.  And an aanswer you should get.

I also noticed that there wasn't anything posted on their website, which is not the normal way of doing business in this country, but maybe in some places that's okay.  But they sure should answer a direct question on the subject.

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 07:56:30 PM »
                        When I talked to the tech he said I should be getting at least 10mbs or upwards of that with the information I gave to him

Thanks for the advice im going to start keeping a log log also

corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
                        intel 120gb SSD
                        corsair cubecase

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                          « Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 08:08:50 PM »
                          Maybe a review would be handy at this point.

You are using the normal plug from the wall.

You have a splitter right from that wall plug.

One line goes to the computer and one to the phone.

You've tested all the cables and that splitter, yes?

How are we doing so far?

More than one computer hooked up to the modem?

What else have we covered if we are referring just to that one plug and anything hooked up to the line plugged into that one plug?

In other words, let's get away from all the other wiring stuff on the other side of that plug going back to the exchange or even other lines you may not yet know about.  One plug at a time that you know about and what's on this side of that plug and what's been checked.

I mean, there has to be an answer and if you can figure it out without a tech fella/gal showing up you might save some money and -- much more importantly -- educate yourself and some of us.

I've already learned that an NID is not absolutely necessary in your country.  Wonder about here, now.

Anyway, the review ...