Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: **COMPUTER CRASH**  (Read 7946 times)

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    **COMPUTER CRASH**
    « on: December 07, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »
    I have a gateway all in one with windows7 home premium. I was downloading windows updates (5 of them) and after the first 2, it said restart comp...so I clicked ok. It was restarting but I have a blue screen with a message box saying..."the comp restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click "OK" to restart the comp, and then restart the application."...I tapped OK, it would restart and go right back to this message. I need some SERIOUS help.....PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!

MichaelNyby

Beginner
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: **COMPUTER CRASH**
      « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 06:01:27 PM »
      Are you using a different computer to access this website?

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 06:26:41 PM »
        yes

MichaelNyby

Beginner
          « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 06:31:17 PM »
          Do you have the computer that's messing up right there at the same work station?  Or close enough that you just scoot over to it to follow any instructions we provide here?

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »
            yes, its right next to me

MichaelNyby

Beginner
              « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »
              That's excellent.  Then you can provide feedback in a timely manner.

So here is the deal, in my view.

You want to sort of recycle that misbehaving computer, but do it in a way that isn't too much strain on it by loading the basic stuff and making sure that can be handled at this point in time.

You need to do the following, please.

Turn off that computer.  Wait a few moments and turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F8 key.  Find that key now so you know where it is and don't get all confused when this needs doing.

And don't go tapping like you are breaking into a bank.  Just a light tapping will be fine until you see it go into an odd looking screen style and that should be showing you the Advanced Boot Options.

The three options shown for Safe Mode in the Advanced Boot Options are Safe Mode -- Safe Mode with Networking -- Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Not sure if you've done this before, but use your keypad and choose just Safe Mode.

Now that computer will boot up in safe mode only and you'll even see a Microsoft help menu pop up, but except for reading it I'd appreciate it if you didn't do anything else with the options shown in that help window.

You see, all we want to do at this point is make sure there are no problems with that computer when it's in safe mode.

Okay, so the computer was in safe mode for about 5 minutes or so and then turn it off the normal way you always do.

Again, let it rest up a few minutes and turn it back on in the normal way without all the key tapping stuff and boot up and at any point if something looks weird post here and I'll see what I can make of it.

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 06:58:16 PM »
                Ok, I just started it in safe mode and it went to the blue screen and there's a message box that says "Windows cannot complete installation in safe mode. To continue installing windows, restart the computer"

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                  « Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 07:03:54 PM »
                  Well, that's cute, eh?  Stubborn, eh?  Okay, turn Mister Stubborn off and I'll get back to you in a moment.  or is it Miss Stubborn?

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 07:05:58 PM »
                    lmao...ok, got HER turned off

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                      « Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 07:15:24 PM »
                      I don't mean any disrespect to the site management here, but I would recommend you taking a look at some of the advice they offer over at Microsoft when you get in this sort of loop.  I just looked at my notes and I see I had this link in there for this sort of problem.

Why not take a look at this page titled, Windows 7 reboot loop after installing Windows updates.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-reboot-loop-after-installing-windows/79def52a-50a6-4f19-8a9f-44bc197b3e8f

That mod person over there posted a bunch of useful links to Microsoft advice for various scenarios related to your type of problem.

And if I've just broken any rules, I apologize.

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 07:24:14 PM »
                        I looked and didn't help. If you know anyone who might be able to help me, please let me know. Thamks

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                          « Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 07:38:41 PM »
                          Well, I still have a few other ideas.

Let's try something interesting.

How do you usually turn off Miss Stubborn?

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
                            When she was working, I would use the shut down key. Now that it crashed, the only way is the off button....I'll try anything at this point before I throw it out the window...lol

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                              « Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »
                              Now that "throwing out the window" idea will seriously upset Miss Stubborn.  You probably think she isn't paying attention to what you write here, but I'll have you know these computers have ways of spying on us humans.  That other computer you are using, for example.  It's probably feeding all this to Miss Stubborn.

But if you really want to throw it someplace, do you think you can throw it over the Pacific Ocean and get it to land in my front yard?

No, no -- let's get serious.

So you hit the power button and it shuts down, yes?  What happens when you hit that power button again?

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 08:08:40 PM »
                                lol...don't think my arm is that good..but I think I could make it to lake michigan...lol. Anyways, I just restarted it and its back on that blue screen with that message box( same message as the first one when I posted this?

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                                  « Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 08:18:31 PM »
                                  Okay, so you are definitely in a stuck situation.  What I would do is try and see if I can get that software unstuck by tricking it.  Yes, we're dealing with milliseconds as it cycles through the first steps after the power is applied, but you might just get lucky.

What I would try is to hit the power switch and then about a half a second after you start to see any sign of life hit the power switch again.  I doubt you can break anything but you might just catch it in such a way that next time you hit the power switch it can be put into safe mode.

So here it is again, in full.

'A' -- Hit power switch.  Miss Stubborn shows signs of waking up and hit power switch.  Miss Stubborn goes back to sleep.

'B' --Hit power switch and start tapping the F8 key and see if Miss Stubborn throws her Windows Update tantrum.  If she does, turn off and go back to 'A'.

I'd repeat that a few times until you are kind of sick and tired of it all.

By the way, disconnect the Net cable to Miss Stubborn, if you haven't already.

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 08:36:36 PM »
                                    ok, the_____ is back in safe mode...but only has 4 options...safe mode, safe with networkin, safe with command prompt, and start windows normally

Keep it Clean...we have Members of all ages here...

patio.
                                    « Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:55:28 AM by patio »

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                                      « Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 08:49:06 PM »
                                      Okay, choose just Safe Mode first and let it sit like that for a bit.  Then turn it off and try to start it normally and see what happens.  Might take a look up at that post above where I covered this part.

See, Miss stubborn was paying attention and that throwing into the lake probably gave her the hint that maybe she was pushing her luck a little too far.  I told you they pay attention.

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 08:58:21 PM »
                                        it wont let me start in safe mode.

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                                          « Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »
                                          Okay, what happens if you do a normal 'hit power switch' type of start and just sit back and let it do its thing?

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 09:08:17 PM »
                                            it says gateway then goes to safe mode screen

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                                              « Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 09:12:59 PM »
                                              Okey-dokey, please do me a favor and take a look at this page and see if any of those images are what you are seeing on your computer.

http://www.wikihow.com/Activate-Safe-Mode-on-Windows-7

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 09:22:15 PM »
                                                ok, I just restarted again. Its in safe mode and at the top it says...I'll just type the whole thing for you..."windows error recovery. windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem: 1. insert your windows installation disc and restart your comp( I don't have one, gateway said its build in). 2. language. 3 click repair your comp...other options...if power was interupted during start up, choose start windows normally."
                                                Ididnt touch anything yet, want to know what you think I should do now

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                                                  « Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 09:25:19 PM »
                                                  Try the last one  -- choose start windows normally -- and see what happens.

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 09:43:19 PM »
                                                    I've done that before and everytime I do, I get that blue screen with that message

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                                                      « Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 09:48:31 PM »
                                                      Okey-dokey, then get it back into safe mode and next time click on the "repair your computer" and see what takes place.

At least you are able to get it into safe mode now, so that seems to be an improvement.

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 09:54:51 PM »
                                                        it wont let me do that...guess I need that disc. Not sure what they cost

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                                                          « Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 09:58:27 PM »
                                                          Now I'm confused.  I thought a few posts up you indicated you were able to get it into safe mode, yes?  But now you can't?

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 10:14:38 PM »
                                                            I can get in safe mode, but cant do anything in it...safe mode, safe mode with networking...whatever I try, it goes back to that blue screen

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                                                              « Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 10:20:32 PM »
                                                              What do you do to get the Advanced Options Menu?  Are you using the F8 key to get there?

ericindoor

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 10:24:25 PM »
                                                                yes, f8, but doesnt go there all the time

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                                                                  « Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »
                                                                  Okay, I have to scoot out for a bit and if it isn't an inconvenience to you can you shut it down for a bit and just let it sit.  Or maybe somebody else would like to step in here?

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                                                                    « Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 04:52:32 AM »
                                                                    Okay, I'd like to show you why I am going on about getting into safe mode and the best way is for you to take a look at this video titled:

How to do a System Restore from Safe Mode (Windows 7)

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCnUu_118Vk

My thinking is that if you can get to a restore point before that time when the Windows Update went all funny it might help get your computer back to a reasonable state of operating.

So that is the end game, so to speak.

Thing is, you still need to get it into safe mode.

What do you think?

Oh yes, somebody told you that there was no need for the installation disc?  I'd have some choice words for that "someone" but I see the censor list is very active on this site and I'd bet my thoughts for that "someone" would have the entire sentence censored and the server for this site would melt.

Bottom line:  ALWAYS GET AN INSTALLATION DISC!

Toby

• Yes
                                                                    • Computer: Specs
                                                                    • Experience: Expert
                                                                    • OS: Windows 7
                                                                    « Reply #33 on: December 13, 2014, 05:45:13 AM »
                                                                    You could try entering the F8 menu as shown in the video in the previous post, but instead of choosing Safe Mode, select Repair your computer.
                                                                    Then, when prompted, select your boot drive, log in using an admin account and use the System Restore tool (don't do a startup repair!)
                                                                    Hope this helps.