Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Operating system Idea  (Read 5766 times)

03siname01

New Operating system Idea
« on: December 14, 2014, 09:19:26 AM »
I was wanting to know weather someone would be nice enough to design me an operating system.

I got quite fascinated with MS Windows a few years ago, the whole evolution of the system. I took a look at the first ever version of Windows. It wasnt actually an OS, just an application which ran on top of Microsofts then-popular MSDOS. It was simpl enough to use but I was saddened by the fact no one wanted to re-create it. so if anyone out there could design or even give me help on designing it with me that would be good (create it and hand me the source code so that I can embed it onto a CD or floppy).

I want it to be a little better than the original version, here are the features I want (Some of these were not present in the original software):
>Keeping the MS-DOS executive but renaming  it to the name of the operating system (ie: "(OSName)-Executive2 or just call it "File-Executive")
  I would be happy if you named it after yourself (such as SteveOS being Steve-Executive)
>I dont care about Internet Access, but it would be a nice addition
>Drag and Drop feature (no manual copy and paste, I want to be able to drag my text files and insert them into a Folder I just created)
>overlapping Windows(Windows 2.0 had this, but 1.0 didnt)
>Longer file names/spaces between words (Windows 1.0/2.0 didnt allow long file names or spaces in filenames)
>Own software Eco-system/Installable apps (have program/apps compatible and can be installed, If you want to know what software I wish to be compatible, ask and I will   provide a seperate list, which isnt very long in that regard compared to other OS's)
>file compatibility, enable some files to be taken from MS Windows, MacOS or Linux (Some Text files, Some Music files and/or some image files) and be able to be opened in this OS
>Multimedia (Like you possibly read above, I would not mind being able to listen to Music or Watch Videos on it)
>Hardware compatibility, other than the average keyboard and mouse, have some compatibility towards USB-based devices such as a Flash Drive or MP3/MP4 players and CD(DVD Drive I am not fussed but would be a nice additional feature).
>Add shortcuts, to stop me having to look through every folder to look for the "calculator" for example, I can create a shortcut to programs or certain files in my designated folder(s).
> Personalisation - Desktop Wallpapers appliance. In Windows 1.0 you could only change the desktop colors or colors to other features such as window title bars or menu bars. I would like to be able to apply a desktop wallpaper

Another feature is only apply the files and folders required for the system running such as system files. I dont want to have folders I dont know what to do with so  I can manually add a "My Documents" or personal folder(s) if I wish

Please could someone make this possible?   |V|

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: New Operating system Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 09:31:01 AM »

This request is like asking for some stranger to build you the Titanic for free.   ::)

The best way to make a custom OS would be to start with Linux and tweak it to your liking in the source code which is open source and then once you like what you have and if you want to share it with others you can name it and document what source it is based off of etc.

I have made custom Live Knoppix CD's etc that are Linux based and free to share with others.

Keeping the MS-DOS executive but renaming  it to the name of the operating system (ie: "(OSName)-Executive2 or just call it "File-Executive")
Basing it on the source, reengineered altered Microsoft code without Microsofts approval is illegal.

The closest you could get to this is freedos project.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
So you want someone to spend years of development time to build you something for free?  Not going to happen...  Did you honestly expect someone to just go "Here's the code" and give you it?

There is no market for a new operating system built from scratch for a regular PC, why would someone use or develop software for that when there are already much more established OSs out there.  Apart from Windows, pretty much every other modern consumer operating system is either UNIX or Linux based, there is a reason for this.

You seem to have a way too simplistic view of what an operating system actually is, it's not just about the UI which is all you are really discussing.  What about the scheduling?  Hardware compatibility?  Multiprocessor support?  Memory Management?  An OS is WAY more complicated than what it looks like to the end user.

If you really want to do it, you will need to get studying!  Noone is just going to build you something for free.  If you want to get into developing software, write applications or if you are only interested in operating systems, work on development of an existing open source OS such as Linux.

There are a couple of small operating systems made by small groups of people such as http://mikeos.sourceforge.net/, but they are built purely out of interest, not for regular use.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
create it and hand me the source code so that I can embed it onto a CD or floppy

If I was to write a complete, working Operating System, I would not just hand over the source code. "idea-people" get zero credit for implementation. The people wishing to fly did not get credit for the aeroplane.

16-bit Windows is heavily coupled to 16-bit hardware and 16-bit x86 fiobles. It's also not Open Source, which basically means you are saying "Hey, could somebody completely recreate software that took years of engineering by dozens of talented individuals for the purpose of being 100% compatible and reliant on DOS? You just need to make a few minor changes, like not relying on DOS and not taking several years and only made by one person. Yeah and if you could then just give me the source code to that, that would be great."

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.