Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Facebook Issue  (Read 4992 times)

zzzabc

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Facebook Issue
    « on: December 21, 2014, 12:39:55 AM »
    Can anyone tell me why I am receiving email notifications for a facebook account that doesn't belongs to it? It does use my email address, but I have not made that account. What is happening?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Facebook Issue
    « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 06:56:57 AM »
    It sounds like a facebook phishing scam. DO NOT OPEN E-Mail ( Just delete it ).

They send this out in hopes that you will click on the link in the e-mail and unknowingly logon to their fake facebook server and then a hacker quickly uses this information at the real facebook site and takes ownership of your account and with this control can then spam others on friends list with anything they chose to do so as well as any sites that have facebook passthrough authentication they also would have the ability to access and steal information etc or hold it for ransom with a monetary demand to give you it back.

Some facebook accounts that I have heard compromised in the past have even had false damaging information posted such as stating that the person is coming out of the closet, starting fights with friends posting hateful information, etc and far worse.

zzzabc

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:42:17 AM »
      When I first tried to make my facebook account through that email address, it says that the email address was already used. So this is probably not a phishing scam ( I think so). It was 1 years ago. But I haven't found any one using my email address. (Last account activity always shows the time I was using). So what's going on..

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »
      Can anyone tell me why I am receiving email notifications for a facebook account that doesn't belongs to it? It does use my email address, but I have not made that account. What is happening?
      So, you used a different email address, than the one you're referring to in your post, to create your facebook account, and that email address is still the address associated with your account.  I that right?

zzzabc

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 12:44:49 PM »
        Yes.
        Someone has make their facebook account through my gmail address. But I don't know how was that possible. It was long time ago. There was no notifications before. I haven't seen any message saying my facebook account was created in that email. I was receiving some  notifications lately.. like birthday notifications and so on.

zzzabc

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »
          And is it safe to reset password for such account. I want to find out who made it and disable the account.

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          « Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »
          Someone has make their facebook account through my gmail address. But I don't know how was that possible.
          The only way I can see that happening is that whoever did that had your gmail password and could access your gmail account.  I suggest you change the password to that account if you haven't done so since this whole episode began.  Once you've done that, I'd try gaining access to that facebook account by using the Forget Password procedure, which should trigger an email being sent to your gmail account since it's the account associated with that facebook account. And, if you can access that facebook account, you should be able to delete it.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 01:15:32 PM »
          Noone can setup an account using your GMail addy unless they know all your contact info and password...Period.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

zzzabc

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »
            But here's the problem. I can't reset the password. Have a look at the screenshot

That facebook account is not mine. But has been created through my email address ( I am receiving notifications lately and I can't create facebook account  through that email address). And I can't reset the password using this email address. What's going on?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

zzzabc

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 03:32:48 PM »

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »
              See above...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "