Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq Presario CDS 520 - Error :(  (Read 11964 times)

Naitsrk

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Compaq Presario CDS 520 - Error :(
    « on: April 28, 2015, 08:57:27 PM »
    Hi guys!

So I was rummaging through a lot of old stuff and I found that my grandfather had saved my very first computer (that he bought me), a Compaq Presario CDS 520.

I plugged it in, plugged in a keyboard, booted up, first into Windows 3.1 then into "tabworks", i found a goldmine of all of my old stuff that I tinkered with when I was a baby. Awesome!! I browse around for five minutes in awe.

Then suddenly I get this error.. "TABWORKS caused Segment Load Failure in module MSACM.DLL at 0001:026A", tabworks then closes and i'm left with blank explorer and no options.

After a reboot, I try to boot up windows again and immediately get that error and get kicked back out to the OS choice (MS-Dos or Windows)

Does anybody happen to know what might be going on or if there's any hope of just recovering my old data? That's really what's important to me !

See pic below for error

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

comda

Adviser
      • Yes
    Re: Compaq Presario CDS 520 - Error :(
    « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 09:20:47 PM »
    well, im not too familiar with Windows 3.1 as i went from only Dos to Windows 95 to XP. however, clearly something is currupt/missing. If i where you id get a USB to IDE and transfer anything you can over if you need anything off of that dinosaur.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »
    blank explorer

You'll need to be a bit more specific. Windows 3.1 did not have any sort of "Explorer"- it had Program Manager- if Program Manager exited, Windows closed as well. However, looking into it, TABWORKS is some sort of shell program. You can change the SHELL program back to program manager. At the DOS Prompt you can edit C:\Windows\system.ini and find a "SHELL=" line. It will likely be pointing at the TABWORKS program. change it to:

Code: [Select]
    SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\PROGMAN.EXE
    and then try starting Windows.

Otherwise, it may be caused by a failed sound card or sound device. MSACM.DLL is the sound mapper. You could try removing any sound drivers, or changing the INI file for TABWORKS (I'd guess TABWORKS.INI in either it's install folder or C:\WINDOWS) and see if there are any sound options and disable them.

You could also try removing the Sound card drivers from the listing found in the "Main" Program group, run "Control Panel", and open Drivers.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ol2ec

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 04:19:35 AM »
      Hi Naitsrk,

Did you have any luck solving this issue?

I was wondering, are you using the English version of TabWorks?