Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it possible to format just one partition?  (Read 2432 times)

ben11

Is it possible to format just one partition?
« on: November 06, 2005, 09:28:43 AM »
Sorry if this is a nooby question. My friend, who only speaks a little english (that's why i'm here instead) needs to retrieve some data from her hard drive which is partitioned, and hopefully get her comp working again as soon as possible. Windows XP pro won't start up, saying something about failed boot from hard disk (?? sorry not 100% sure what it said), whatever mode we tried to start it in. BUT earlier on it had started but ran VERY slowly and quickly froze, forcing us to restart from the power button. Then magically it began not even starting at all.

So I figured maybe we could delete XP and install W2k on that partition. Because she doesn't have any boot disks, cds etc. (lost them all or just borrowed the cd off a friend i'm not sure), I thought this could perhaps help? But yeah my basic question is can you format a partition while keeping those valuable files in the other section, and how, without having the XP cd?

Very sorry about the state of this question, it's a bit all over the place (it's 3am here and im *censored* tired) but I'd appreciate any advice so I could help my friend. Thanks!

Mac

Is it possible to format just one partition?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 10:21:37 AM »
Use another computer to burn a KNOPPIX CD and boot directly to it. If the drive is mountable you can retrieve the files using the K3B burning program.

To format you could try using RC.ISO which is a bootable XP Recovery Console.

What are you going to install with no CD?

ben11

Re: Is it possible to format just one partition?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 06:19:27 PM »
Thanks that's really helpful and I'll try it out. She has the W2k cd so she will use that OS as the new one.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 06:23:31 PM »
If there is only one partition I don't know that you can install Win2000 OVER XP as it would be a downgrade. If you can, I'm not sure what would happen.
\
It would be better to boot with a Linux Live CD and send them to another computer using a wired network on both, as in both on the same router.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 07:22:27 PM »
     ben11..... If the hard drive has more than 1 partition.......Eg C: , F: , G: all on the same drive .......and the O/S is on C: ........you should be able to format just the C partition .......however all data on that drive will be lost .  Am I to assume that all the valuble data is not stored on C drive ( the one with the O/S on it ?
    BTW is the O/S (xp pro ) a legal copy ?
    (lost them all or just borrowed the cd off a friend i'm not sure)

Whats the real story here .........or do we all look like we just fell off the truck?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.