Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Open With  (Read 7581 times)

jimbetsie

Open With
« on: July 24, 2004, 05:56:31 AM »
I've been trying for a long time for this answer I hope someone can tell me.On some programs it says "open with" thebprograms and open with programs don't have any ??extensions like dll or exe so I don't know which is which.Question is how do I know which one to use to open it with.I've tried many ways with no luck.I am using Windows 98se with IE6 on a Gateway desktop.I have looked at many already asked questions and still haven't found an answer Please Help

Raptor

Re: Open With
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 09:14:49 AM »
What is it exactly you are trying to open?

Jim Allen

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 01:12:11 PM »
Thier are a lot of different files but here are two examples,they are window files [56K AClink voice modem log] and [Services] under Windows there are many more but I don't know them off hand

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 03:27:42 PM »
try notepad...or word pad or excel...loads of them are you trying to edit them?

Jim Allen

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 04:20:18 PM »
no most of the time I'm just trying to find out what they're about

jimbetsie

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 04:32:31 PM »
I forgot to say thank you!And some I have tryed to open in note pad it directed me to word pad but when it opened it was in computer language I couldn't read it
Again Thank You for yopur help

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 04:48:12 PM »
excel the best...........autoexe bat file opened in notepad for example..SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 05:06:39 PM »
You are not meant to open certain files, they will not tell you what they are. If you see an extension or file you would like to know what it contains or does, search for it in Google. That will give you more detailed information without risking any damage to your files.

jimbetsie

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 07:32:58 AM »
Raptor,Thank You I have done that and it's a good idea

merlin 2,I read your reply but I don't understand what you are trying to tell me except that Excel is the best one to open with.I didn't find an Excel on the list they gave me.I downloaded a maintaice file and when I tried to set it up it said "open with" couldn't figure it out

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 08:45:23 AM »
Merlin assumed you were looking into editing the files rather than discovering their use, I believe.

jimbetsie

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 05:45:04 AM »
You are right Raptor I just wanted to see what they are used for and some I need to open to use.They still say "open with"still I can't open them.When I open most of them with word pad or notebook they are writen in little squares and letters that make no sense to me.I don't know if I have excel on my machine or where to find it

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 05:51:57 AM »
I donot believe you could translate the strange fonts, I donot exactly know what they are for either. My guess is that they are code. Not something you would want translated unless you are a programmer.

MalikTous

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 10:53:22 AM »
It's quicker to look up file extensions in www.filext.com, rather than a search engine like Google or Yahoo or AllTheWeb or HotBot. The search engines are good after you've got basic info for a more useful search parameter from FilExt.