Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Quick Question...  (Read 2258 times)

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Quick Question...
    « on: February 09, 2015, 02:40:20 PM »
    I recently purchased an ASUS Xonar DG audio card for my XP system with two speakers.

I'm only getting mono, not stereo.  I contacted ASUS and they told me to reinstall the software drivers.  I did to no avail.  They said it was a hardware problem and to return the card.

I also tried reseating the card.  No difference.

My question is twofold:

1. Could there be another reason why I'm not getting stereo (e.g. old audio software still installed)?  My speakers are OK - my old Soundblaster card gave them stereo.

2. Is there another audio card for XP better than this one?  If I'm going to return it, perhaps I'd like to upgrade.

Thank you as always.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Quick Question...
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 05:32:14 PM »
    A related issues is the cord used to connect the card to the speakers. It can be broken or may have a connector that is not the right size. Typical connectokr is the 3.5 mini plug with tip, ring and body connections.
    They look lioke this:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+3.5+mm+plugs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 08:30:01 PM »
      Yes, that is the cord that I'm using.  I know that the cord is OK because these speakers worked in stereo with an old original SoundBlaster card.

I wanted to upgrade the card, which is why I opted for the ASUS Xonar DG.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 10:22:07 PM »
      Well you will have to send it back.