Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Do The Roku without a Credit card. Yes  (Read 13994 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Do The Roku without a Credit card. Yes
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:31:52 AM »
It's true.
You can link your  Roku video streamer without need for a Credit card.

I just bought a new Roku.**  First time for me. I had no idea I needed to give them my credit card to make it work.

But there is a video on You Tube that shows how to do it. Really!  You just have to be able to read. That is hard for me, so I watched the video and saw him do it. There is a little thinning says something like "slop this' or something.
Link Roku without a Credit card.

So there is a way!  ;D

** Roku
The Roku Streaming Player (or simply Roku) is a series of set-top boxes manufactured by Roku, Inc. Roku partners provide over-the-top content in the form of channels. A Roku streaming device gets data (the video stream) via a wired or Wi-Fi connection to an Internet router.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:34:25 AM »
?

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Do The Roku without a Credit card. Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 06:52:57 AM »
I bought the Roku Model 1 about 6 months ago and satisfied it with a credit card that was about to expire. I wasnt aware of a way to get around this, I actually didnt look for a method around this when setting it up. But figured once its activated I doubt it would pop up with any reminders that CC expired and needs to be updated before continueing to use it. Its still working after initialized with a now expired credit card. =P

I like the Roku 1, but the navigation is slow. Its like 1 button press per second or you confuse it or end up some place you dont want to be because the menu system is playing catch up. Not sure what CPU its using but its amazing that its processing power is powerful enough to play videos so well, but yet the navigation is lagged in processing that should be way simpler than the video processing task assembling the packets from the video stream and playing it on the fly. But no complaints for a $39 Roku 1 that works well when you get to the show or movie you want to watch.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 08:04:21 AM »
I own a Roku 3 and 2 Roku 1s.  I don't recall having to provide a CC during setup but will take your word for it.  I have never been charged anything on my CC from the Rokus so really don't give a hoot.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 07:39:46 AM »
I too haven't been charged anything, but also its kind of hard from them to charge if they wanted to with an intentionally expired credit card on file.  :P

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 10:16:53 AM »
I went and looked at my account and now see why I don't remember inputting any credit card info.  It's because I used PayPal instead.  Anyway, like I said, I've never been charged anything and on top of that it requires a PIN to charge (not sure I even remember what PIN I used).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 10:53:35 AM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »
12345 will work
BTW, do not imagine paying with PayPall is safer than a credit card.  The credit card compaines do have some kind of protection that is required by law. Using PayPall might incur problems you did not anticipate. It has happened to me and still happens. Things I tried over a year ago now come back an claim I had a contrast and they charge my PayPal avaunt. It is hard to get rid of some of them.
So when I did my Roku thing, I used an old invalid CC so they can never charge me.
IMO that is safer than giving my PayPal information.