Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WoL on Turnkey Linux server  (Read 4434 times)

HP2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • True Story
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
WoL on Turnkey Linux server
« on: March 31, 2015, 07:12:56 PM »
Hi!

I'm trying to make wake on lan over the internet work on my HP Compaq DC7800P vPro running Turnkey Linux server. I enabled WoL in the BIOS and forwarded port 9 and 7 UDP. I then tried http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx and http://www.wakeonlan.me/.

None of these websites worked. Is there something I should have done on the OS-side?
I have Ubuntu installed on another partition.

Thanks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: WoL on Turnkey Linux server
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »
WOL, Wake up Over LAN is a common trick used on both Windows and Linux computers.
It can be done on a Mac also. The whole point is to reduce power use when the system is not needed. With that in mind, there are other methods besides WOL and documented elsewhere. But now about WOL

Always But one thing is needed for WOL. Somehow the LAN hardware has to be on and receive signals. It may be in low-power state, but still has to get stuff over the network.
Often this means setting a option in the BIOS. And the OS may have to go into some form or sleep or hibernation.

Here are links related to Linux:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-send-wake-on-lan-wol-magic-packets.html
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wake-on-LAN

Have  you already done it with Windows?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-are-wake-on-lan-capabilities
http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2776718

If you don't get it to work, wouldyou7r consider the workarounds?
EDIT: If you suspect a hardware issue, read this:
Understanding remote wake-up
The ability to remotely wake computers is an important development in computer management. The feature has evolved from a simple remote power-on capability to a complex system able to interact with many devices and OS power states.
Early implementations required the system to have a standby power supply. The system could be started from a power off state by sending a "Magic Packet*." The adapter responds to a "Magic Packet" that has its own MAC address by toggling a signal connected to the computer power control circuitry. The power control circuitry, in response, activates power resulting in the computer booting the OS.
The ability to power on the computer allowed network administrators to complete off-hours maintenance at remote locations without sending a technician. This early implementation did not require an OS that was aware of remote wake-up.
More at...
http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-008459.htm

HP2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • True Story
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 02:23:39 PM »
Thank you for the links!

I looked at Ethtool. It was already installed so I ran the command #ethtool eth0. The output about WoL was:
Code: [Select]
Supports wake-on: pumbag
wake-on: g
From what I have read everything is ok. And in the BIOS S5 Wake on LAN is enabled. I can't see what is missing...

You talked about workarounds. What are these workarounds?
Thanks again!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 02:40:15 PM »
The main reasons for using WOL are:
A. Lower power consumption and longer life of hardware.
B. Better security with a log-in required.

The first is the more important. The security issues can be handled other ways.

The traditional work around is to use a modem /router that get the WOL message and then triggers  a device to actually turn on the  server. This is a  method used whee the server hardware for some reason is not usable.
The power composition of a good al WOL router is a fraction of a standard server.
If you go that route, it is a case of just finding the right router that has WOL implemented for computers that don't work right with WOL by themselves.
Router-Assisted Automatic Wake-on-LAN + Suspend
OR
Wake On LAN center
The above is an alternative set of tutorials that cover the same materiel, but you might find a detail tare that you missed.
What router models support Wake On Lan (Standalone or via UDP forward to a broadcast address) ?

Unfortunately, information about this specific feature is often difficult to find. Usually, it won't appear in technical datasheets and, even worst, it may change from one firmware version to another. In short, most router do not support UDP forward to a broadcast address.
... from the link.

What kind of setup stuff  be do you  have? You might already have a router that does WOL . Some DD-WRT types have it.

Please read over b doth links. You should get some ideas fro them.

HP2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • True Story
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
My high-tech ultra server setup  ;)
- A TD-W8960N modem-router (I didn't see any WOL options in the configuration)
- A good old HP Compaq DC7800P vPro

My reason for wanting to use WOL is the power consumption.
I'm running a game server to play with a few friends and I would like to start it when they ask me wherever I am.
(I'm sorry, I should have said this earlier :-[)

I looked at Wake on LAN center and tried the steps from Openclassrooms.com and downloaded Aquila WOL from sourceforge. Aquila doesn't see the computer, even when it is on.
Even so, the Internet card's led is blinking when the PC is off, and I can connect from my Windows PC with WinSCP to browse the Linux files.
S5 is supported by the hardware and it is on.
The port 9 is forwarded with UDP to the IP address.

WOL has no reason not to work ???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 07:58:46 PM »
First of all, I don't have a quick and easy answer to your problem with Linux. Instead, I'll just focus on a simple, reasonable hardware solution to the problem.
As for the Linux issue. You could check with some of the many Linux forums and chat rooms available. Sometimes you will come across somebody that had the exact same problem and found the solution.
Now about the hardware. Presently there are on the market a number of remote control switches that work over the Internet. In this case I'm not talking about switchers, but actually literal light switches. In fact some of them install in a light switch boxes. But can also get a light switch power plug that were works over wireless.
Basically here's how they work. Your wireless router has to be open an online at all times and be able to do the proper port forwarding to allow remote control over wireless. Sometimes this feature is blocked, but apparently it's not hard to do. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be selling these things ever was too hard to do. Expect to pay about $30 for one of these little gadgets and it should handle about 300 to 500 W of power. If that is an issue, there's a workaround around that also. Need to check the power rating.
Once you get one of these devices you can play around with it and see how it works you send a signal over the Internet and it comes back to your wireless router and the wireless router relays it to the light switch controller. If you get the controller that has a plug, then you could just plug in a PC to the plug. But for testing purposes, you would start out with just a lamp see how the thing works.
Now if there is a power limit issue, a little more hardware is required. Instead of switching the power supply on an off for the computer, you devise some method where the light switch controller could activate the power button in some fashion I'm sure others have done this, but I have not done it myself. Also, it may be possible to find controllers that have better power ratings. You probably want a controller that would take up to 800 W to handle your gaming server. By the way, how much power do you need to turn the thing on from a cold start?. Also, do you have your server set up to worry it will start up on cold start? This means you have to have some type of auto login script or a some other means to get around the password requirement for sign in. Once the computer is powered up, the script would start that monitors your network for an incoming request.
Does that sound feasible to you?

* In the USA a plug must allow current up to 15 amps to comply with safety standards. But the cheap comptrollers come from China. I am not certain if they are rated for that much current. On eBay about $30. Some a lot more.
Photo from eBay

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

HP2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • True Story
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »
The PSU is 240 watt.
I will look on Linux IRC and maybe for a wireless switch if nothing works (the server already login automatically when powered on and I can access a web user interface on any internet browser).

Thank you for your help!  :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 03:45:07 PM »
You are welcome.  :)

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 06:55:13 PM »
You forwarded the port?  You really shouldn't be using Wake on LAN this way and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of firewall in the way blocking it.  You should only be sending WoL packets from within your LAN, not over the internet.  If you want to send them over the internet you should first connect in to some device running from within the LAN and use that to send the WoL packets out.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 07:34:46 PM »
General Reference.
This topic is considered in other places and the claim is made that one can turn on a device that is off or hibernating. The principal advantage is to reduce power consumption.  On is one of many:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2687241/5-ways-to-use-your-pc-remotely.html
Chris Hoffman in PCWorld on  Sep 24, 2014
He gives a dire warning.
These DIY services aren’t as easy to use, however. You’ll have to set up port-forwarding and dynamic DNS on your own to access them remotely. They’ll also be harder to secure, as any bot scanning your IP address from the Internet will see the services running on those ports and can attempt to break into them and compromise your PC. This isn’t a risk with services like TeamViewer or Parallels Access, which handle the authentication bits on their own central servers.
He mentions the Wake on LAN thaing.
PCs have long supported a feature known as Wake-on-LAN. When Wake-on-LAN is enabled on a PC, the PC’s network interface listens for a specially formed packet, even while the computer is powered off, hibernating, or in sleep mode. When the computer receives the packet, it powers on.
You could take advantage of Wake-on-LAN to turn on your PC over the Internet. This would allow you to leave your PC off except when you want to access its desktop or files remotely.
But reading on, it is like Camerongray posted above. An always on device has to get the request from the Internet  and turn on the PC over the LAN. So you need more hardware to make it work.  The PCWorld article also recommends one read the documentation for the product called TeamViewe.
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/res/pdf/TeamViewer-Manual-Wake-on-LAN-en.pdf
Hope this helps.  ;D

HP2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • True Story
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 07:00:42 PM »
If you want to send them over the internet you should first connect in to some device running from within the LAN and use that to send the WoL packets out.

As I understood, you suggest me to remotely start and control my main PC with Teamviewer to open Aquila, then start the server...
That is brilliant  ;D This IS the solution! Thank you a lot!!!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 07:28:32 PM »
Glad you got it to work.
Here is one more reference to round out this thread.
One may find a the term Tomato (firmware) used when talking about WOL tricks. Wikipedia has a entry that is a starting point.
Tomato (firmware)
Tomato is a partially free HyperWRT-based, Linux core firmware distribution for a range of Broadcom chipset based wireless routers, most notably the older-model Linksys WRT54G (including the WRT54GL and WRT54GS), Buffalo AirStation, Asus Routers and Netgear's WNR3500L. Among other notable features is the user interface, which makes heavy use of Ajax as well as an SVG-based graphical bandwidth monitor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_%28firmware%29
Ah yes, the article needs work. But still it does give about 25 links or references to related material.  Anybody wanting to do a WOL project ought look.