Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 5687 times)

badoom_bum

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Where to start?
    « on: April 29, 2015, 01:04:22 PM »
    Hi there!

I'm quite a newbie to all things computerish... I've enjoyed playing with HTML back at school, I found I was quick to pick things up. Fast forward several years and I've just started studying Computer Science at the uni. I would like to get a grip on web design but I'm not quite sure how (where) to start... I have to work alongside my course to support myself so time is rather scarce - I am always happy and eager to devote hours and hours to studying but researching good sources of information takes a lot of time. A while ago I was perusing Jon Duckett's free book on HTML and CSS (available here - just replace *censored* with w t f, hilarious instance of link censorship btw ;) ), really helpful.  What other good resources available online could you recommend?

Much appreciated :)

Pola

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Where to start?
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 01:21:13 PM »
    Web design is a wide topic. It is more than HTML and CSS.

One needs skills in related areas. Graphic design. templates, scripting and server side programming. Just to name a few.

Are you wanting to enter the workplace as a full-time web builder? Or are you more int rested in a related field?

Be very care full of web sites that claim their course or product will land you an easy job right away. Not so. It takes real hard work to become good at anything worthwhile. At your place of study, take advantage of unbiased counselors.

You can search the internet for technology jobs and find that web design is not always lat the top of the list.
    Here is a link about current Web Design jobs.
    http://jobs.monster.com/v-creative-design-q-web-designer-jobs.aspx

On more thing. IMHO you need to learn PHP soon.
    PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML.
      :D

badoom_bum

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 02:59:36 PM »
      Thanks! I meant web development but kept writing web design - my bad. I do know it takes a lot of work so I'm not taking any paid courses online - I want to figure the basics out for myself.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »
      In my point of view, you need a hands on experience. That is far better than paid-for tutorials. You are a self-starter, so all you need is to start in the right direction. The real need now is no fundamental design, but content and innovation.

Take advantage of everything that is free. Social sites, free university archives and groups you can join for free As you should already know, on sites like twitter and Facebook you can link to interesting content that you have found elsewhere. If you become good at it, people will come back to your page to see what you have found.

Here is anew item of interest. Social media is moving to social business. You can be a good businessman using mostly the Internet.
      Move Over Social Media; Here Comes Social Business
      When asked, "How do you eat an elephant?" the sage pygmy replied, "One bite at a time." And so it is with social business initiatives. IBM itself tried a number of different approaches internally: First by using a wiki to draft its social computing guidelines, and more recently by offering a "Social Computing Demystified" course to help more IBMers become digital citizens. These smaller building blocks helped pave the way for bigger initiatives like the expertise locator that now taps into nearly 3,000 IBMers from around the world.
      See, IBM is doing it too.  :)

MurrayTaylor

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 04:52:01 AM »
        You made the decision, it’s probably valid, and I hope you did your research before you decided to get into this. Yes, pick a target market, have a financial plan, strategize your product,

Tan

Greenhorn
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 06:52:35 AM »
          w3schools.com is usually good enough for a beginner. Check their HTML and CSS tuts.
          Work hard and say it's easy.