Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Quantos outright bans me from IRC for attempting to help a person.  (Read 102871 times)

Hakezu

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    A guest dropped by the IRC and was wondering why BitTorrent would not successfully install on their computer.

I asked "Is it only BitTorrent? Have you tried others?"

Quantos immediately assumed that the guest was planning to use the program for illegitimate means and banned them.
    Right after he banned me stating "We don't support or suggest thievery, you earned a vacay."

First off, that was not my intention when trying to help the person, I received help here on the forums and I'm just trying to give back to the community.

Secondly, he automatically assumed that it was going to be for illegitimate means. Yes I agree that most people use it for that purpose. but in my opinion I don't think that person should be considered a thief right off the bat.

I believe that I was wrongfully banned, and was not given the chance to state my side of the story.

Picture for proof.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Quantos outright bans me from IRC for attempting to help a person.
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 03:37:25 AM »
    Don't take it personally, unfortunately this is an all to common occurrence - Bans are issued where a simple explanation of the rules would suffice.  As you can see here you are not alone: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,45.0.html.

It's great that you are trying to give back to the community and you are still more than welcome to help out on the forums.

TrivisionZero

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 12:48:29 AM »
      Happened to me too, I feel for ya bro

lostcoast

Hopeful
      « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
      Since +90% of torrents are illegal usage of copyrighted files we ask that torrents or torrent clients are not discussed in chat.
      I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 11:00:18 AM »
      Since +90% of torrents are illegal usage of copyrighted files we ask that torrents or torrent clients are not discussed in chat.

So you ban someone for mentioning torrents without warning them? And when someone says he has a problem installing Bit Torrent (a perfectly legal program) the response is "too bad". You're good with that? Sorry, but you are 100% in the wrong.

Hey - I have a thought - how about being nice to people who are looking for assistance?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 01:32:44 PM »
      Bit Torrent is used by The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine to distribute a huge archive of public domain media, recordings of live concerts, eBooks, old movies and TV shows, and other audio recordings. They recommend people use BitTorrent to download its content, as it’s the fastest method and allows the non-profit organization to save on bandwidth costs. In 2010 the UK government released several large data sets showing how public money was being spent. To make these available, they offered them via BitTorrent. This allowed the government to save on bandwidth costs. NASA uses BitTorrent to multi-GB images available. BitTorrent users always say they’re downloading “Linux ISOs” as a joke when they’re actually downloading pirated content. This may be a common joke, but it’s also a good excuse — Linux ISOs are a common use for BitTorrent.

http://www.doesbittorrentequalpiracy.com/

TrivisionZero

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »
        @Salmon Trout +1