Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Your Java is out of date.  (Read 2228 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Your Java is out of date.
« on: May 23, 2015, 01:22:55 AM »
When using my old XP machine to watch videos I get an error message. Not sure what is the cause. Some checking around and I got the message above.
What would Java have to do with Video?
What is this all about? The Oracle site says I can try to use Java run time 8 and maybe it will work with my Windows XP.

What is going on?

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Your Java is out of date.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 05:48:13 AM »
The site that has videos likely has Java scripts that are running behind the scenes. I get messages like this all the time with a clean Linux build such as Linux Mint which has Flash built into it so such as at Facebook I can play the flash games and everything otherwise seems to work fine, but it states that specific scripts were non functional from Akamai. For the fact that the site functions fine under Linux but I see these script messages I figure why give it a Java install if everything is running fine as for, why let some secretive background tracking or whatever other purpose script function.

If the web content seems to otherwise work fine such as videos play but its just an annoyance that its telling you that there is a java script that needs java, its up to you if you want to install java and have the blat go away and allow whatever to run behind the scenes. But if its causing a functionality problem, then its best to install the latest or last version that supported xp. I haven't had to install the JRE to XP in a while so not sure if the latest version works with XP or if you will have to install an older version that is the last to support it. Some info here on this: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/install-windows-141940.html

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »
Thanks. So I went and did an install for Java 7.
Later on, found  my trouble was really something else. The video workaround for me is to use Chrome instead of Firefox. And it was not Java related.
Live an d learn.  :)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »
I removed Java from my Win 8.1 laptop months ago and have not missed it one bit.