Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 10  (Read 62612 times)

nas6car

Topic Starter

Beginner

windows 10
    « on: June 01, 2015, 10:07:18 AM »
    An icon showed up at the top of my screen on the right beside of my internet connection icon that says get windows 10.  I donot want windows 10.   How do I get rid of that icon up there?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »
    Microsoft are the Villians here...it was included in all recent KB Updates for Win8...
    I think that's disgusting and many people agree.
    As of yet i haven't seen a patch/fix.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:12:53 AM »
    Found this just now :

The app adds an icon to the system tray that looks like a little Windows icon that runs the reservation app: some have already asked how to remove the icon. To do this, you will need to uninstall the Windows Update KB3035583 and that should get rid of the icon, alternatively you can simply hide the icon too.

I believe to hide it you just rite clik it and select...

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:37:06 AM »
    It's just a notification asking if you want to reserve a copy for upgrade once it's released. If you don't want it, say no.

nas6car

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:47:44 AM »
      how do I uninstall that update KB3035583 that put it on there?  When I right click on the icon it doesn't give me an option to hide it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »
      Microsoft are the Villians here...it was included in all recent KB Updates for Win8...
      I think that's disgusting and many people agree.
      As of yet i haven't seen a patch/fix.

A notification received from Windows UPDATE notifying users of applicable OS editions about a FREE UPDATE to a new version of the Operating System, which will be rolled out is "disgusting" and makes Microsoft a "Villian"?

how do I uninstall that update KB3035583 that put it on there?  When I right click on the icon it doesn't give me an option to hide it.
      You can hide it like any other notification icon with the "Customize" option in the notification area.

You can also remove the update the same way as any other, as well. If you view the list of installed updates within Windows Update, you can uninstall them from there. Or you can go to Add/Remove programs and choose "View Installed Updates" to get to the same Update applet where you can remove it.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

nas6car

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 12:16:11 PM »
         8)  Thank you for your help!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »
        A notification received from Windows UPDATE notifying users of applicable OS editions about a FREE UPDATE to a new version of the Operating System, which will be rolled out is "disgusting" and makes Microsoft a "Villian"?

All i was stating was what the source was and why they did it without any User options...if i worded it a bit too harshly for yours or MS's tastes then i apologise...

Relax.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 04:29:45 AM »
        if i worded it a bit too harshly for yours or MS's tastes then i apologise...
        I suppose it has to do with wording, yes.

If we work backwards, perhaps I can best explain why I took issue with the statement.

We have an update to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 which is downloaded on systems that are applicable to get a free Windows 10 upgrade. This update, once installed, shows a notification regarding the system being applicable for a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it is released.

There doesn't appear to be an option to "remove" the icon entirely; instead one needs to hide the icon using the Notification options, or manually uninstall the coincident KB update.

I would call that annoying at worst. I think calling it "disgusting" and saying it is the work of a villian is quite extravagant hyperbole, considering that it is also saying that this notification is malicious, which is a claim that I do not think has a lot of merit.

Now, if the notification appeared on all Windows systems and Windows 10 was *not* a free upgrade- making the notification an advertisement for another product- than I would be more likely to agree in principle, since that would definitely be an abuse of the Windows Update System as an advertising platform. I think it would be hard to demonstrate that offering and informing users of applicable software about an upcoming free update they can apply to their system is done maliciously, however.

There also seems to be an implication that I am some sort of "MS Sheep"- this is really the only reason I can imagine you would mention Microsoft's tastes regarding word usage, given they have not made any statement about your post on the matter. I hardly agree with Microsoft about everything or consider everything they do to be magic pixie sauce. Their development division lacks a clear direction on exactly what the future holds, particularly for desktop development. They are pushing for everybody to move to their new Modern UI development framework, which is absolutely horrendous for the creation of desktop applications, and have seemingly abandoned further development on either WinForms (long ago) and WPF (no news) as well as .NET still having no MS-provided solution for the creation of games and entertainment software, requiring the use of third-party libraries and products with restrictive licensing and prohibitive royalties- I could go on. I also don't like how Windows 10 manages network features, particularly VPN connections as it stands currently, which requires demonstrably more mouse clicks and mouse movement to use (Which is why I used the feedback tool to provide feedback about it)- I could go on at length- as I expect anybody could.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 06:11:44 AM »
        An icon showed up at the top of my screen on the right beside of my internet connection icon that says get windows 10.  I donot want windows 10.   How do I get rid of that icon up there?

Several methods of removing the icon completely: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578100/remove-the-get-windows-10-icon-from-the-icon-tray/

AlicePhoebe

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 03:12:26 AM »