Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 68384 times)

redbird

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Windows 10
    « on: June 11, 2015, 03:45:21 PM »
    I want to do the upgrade but I read that they no longer support windows media is that true ?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 03:56:33 PM »
    You post is not undersood.
    Windows 7 and 8 are well supported by Microsoft. Both will continue to receive updates for sometime.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=windows%207

Windows 10 is free for people who have legal windows 7 or windows 7 already.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »
    I don't understand your question, but clearly the above post from Geek has nothing to do with anything.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
    I've not heard anything of the sort.  Absolute worst case you can just use something else like VLC media player which is free and supports more formats than Windows Media Player.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 05:14:20 PM »
    From all the builds to this point it is NOT gonna be supported...

I see this as a non-issue as there are many Free far better media players out there...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 05:56:18 PM »
    My HP laptop that came with Windows 8 had CyberLink Power DVD, which I've found to work fine for playing DVDs.  I'd bet all manufacturers bundle some player that makes Windows Media Player unnecessary.  If not, then freeware options are available such as the VLC Media Player that camerongray mentioned.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 09:52:38 PM »
    MS has come out and said that if you upgrade a computer running Win 7 with Windows Media Center, during the upgrade process WMC will be removed.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 02:32:02 AM »
    Ahh, Windows Media Centre (not player) may well be removed.  But this is because it has been totally superseded by much better media centre systems such as XBMC or Plex.  Even on my Windows 7 home theatre PCs I don't use Windows Media Centre, I use XBMC.

redbird

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »
       I should of said I use the media center for local channel setup and recording(sorry) but camerongray , you say you use XBMC is there a link to this , does it have annoying advertisement to it?

redbird

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 07:55:09 AM »
        I've looked at plex and xbmc but cant tell if it has over the air recording looks like they only do streaming. Anyone have a link to go on?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »
        With Windows 8 there is no hardships watching videos or playing music. 
        So it is hard to understand what the intent of you question.
        At one time there was a doomed version of windows that named:
        'Windows Media Edition'
        or something like that. It is gone.

You did not mean this thing? Ten years  ago!
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Media_Center_Edition

So, What was your question?  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
        Geek, They are referring to Windows Media Center, which did originate with Windows XP's Media Center Edition but it continued to be available in Vista7, as well as 8 (In Windows 8 Media Center Edition, which I think was only available for a short time). Windows Media Center is not compatible with Windows 10 (allegedly) and upgrading to Windows 10 removes it.

The OP is now looking into alternatives that camerongray suggested.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 02:47:16 PM »
        Thank you BC. That makes sense now.
        So his question would have been:
        Why did they take out 'Windows Media Center' from Windows 10?

One time MS said:
        When used to its fullest, Media Center can turn your computer into a powerful home entertainment hub. You can unleash the full power of Media Center by connecting your computer to an HDTV and using a Media Center remote to control all the action from your couch.
        Did something happen to alter that prospect?
        Stories like below were published in My, this year.
        http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-will-officially-kill-off-media-center/
        ZDNet reports from a private briefing at the Build conference where it was revealed that Media Center would be taken off life support. The add-on for Windows hasn’t received a major update since 2009, although a straight port was provided for Windows 8 users who wanted to make use of its functionality.
        Does that mean the Windows 8 port can not  work?
        But Microsoft found that only a small minority of users took advantage of the operating system's home entertainment app and the royalty charges required to support DVD playback didn't make financial sense for the company. In fact, you won't even be able to buy a Windows 8 PC with Media Center preinstalled: Anyone who wants it will have to add it
        from PC mag.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
        « Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 02:51:37 PM »
        Windows Media Center just never gained that much usage - Even on my media center PCs I don't use it and instead run XBMC or just use plain old VLC with a web browser.  XBMC has way more and better supported plugins than Windows Media Center ever had - Largely due to it being cross platform so has a much wider selection of people using it.

For example, when I built my first home theatre PC I tried using Windows Media Center but there were no decent plugins for most UK TV catchup services, there are tonnes for XBMC.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 12:13:35 AM »
        Geek...stop reading PC Mag...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

redbird

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »
          I have a computer set up with a Hauppauge tv tuner and I use windows media center to get my over the air channels , I like the way I can get my tv guide through the media center also I can record . So knowing for sure now that win 10 will not have this setup it will be useless to download . Thanks all for replying, if anyone has something similar to use with win 10 please give a link to the right site. Thanks all

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 07:42:27 PM »
          So this question  is not about Windows Media Player, but the  full Windows Media Center set of  tools. One reference said that MS would have to pay royalties for something. That is rather odd. Does every company that makes any kind of media tools have to pay royalties?  :-\

Here is a link to ZDNet:
          R.I.P., Windows Media Center
          Microsoft discontinued development of Windows Media Center in 2009, but enthusiasts have held out hope that the feature would get one more reprieve for Windows 10. Sorry, folks, that's not happening.
          Reprieve  ???

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 01:33:38 PM »
          Supposed to be going to the Insiders first.  I was an early Insider & have received no notifications and nothing available in Windows Update.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
          You can download the .iso (from MS) if you like: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:30 AM »
          BTW, if you do the above download you are actually downloading a file named MediaCreationTool.exe which, when executed, offers the option to download the .iso (and gives you a choice of W10 version) or to upgrade the existing system directly. I did download the .iso and created a dvd, but also used the other option to upgrade two W8 systems.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 12:53:44 PM »
          This morning I was thinking I would upgrade my other system (I have a relatively cheap build I made about a month ago) to Windows 10. I started it and it had the Get Windows 10 Icon after performing an update. I managed to get ti say the same thing as Computer_Commando is seeing, but couldn't get it to actually download.

Looked it up a bit, their documentation/FAQ is absolutely horrible. Basically the answer to "Why am I not receiving the update yet" is pretty poor. They provide zero information about when to expect it, when it will be downloaded, when you will be "notified", etc. It's basically "You'll receive the update when we decide you are worthy". It says I can check progress with the "Get Windows 10" notification but apparently it has uninstalled itself. What an amazing experience.

I guess I'll just wait until they've decided I am worthy of their benevolence. I'd use the aforementioned ISO install but I'd rather not waste more time on installing an OS that I've yet to think of many positive things to say about anyway.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 05:06:18 PM »
          I just wanted to update a Windows 7-Home Premium laptop.  Did the Media Creation Tool, but it downloaded & immediately went to updating.  No problem, successful update.  Then wanted to create an ISO from the downloaded ESD file.  It had 3 file versions (2-install.exe & 1-install64.exe) & could only get the install64.exe file to convert using a newer version of the decrypter file, i.e. ESD Decrypter v6.

I have no idea why there were 3 ESD files all with the same date, 2 with the same time stamp.

Since it worked, used CCleaner to clean out the Windows.old, MS Edge, etc; then did a Macrium Reflect image.

BC - can't say I'm a big fan of Win10, after using it for 9 months.  It doesn't offer me any more than Win7 did.  However, it actually works much faster on an old laptop that had WinVista32.  Go figure?!

I will say that they did a very good job incorporating a huge database of drivers.  Didn't need any from the manufacturers.
          « Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:25:01 PM by Computer_Commando »

strollin

Adviser
            • Yes
          « Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 05:25:05 AM »
          ...   can't say I'm a big fan of Win10, after using it for 9 months.  It doesn't offer me any more than Win7 did.  ...
          This pretty much sums up my feelings on Win 10.  I've been using it in VMs since the very first Tech Preview and decided I couldn't see any reason to upgrade any of my Win 7 or Win 8.1 machines.  When it comes time to buy/build a new machine, I will probably buy a copy of the OS to install.