Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 68371 times)

redbird

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Windows 10
    « Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »
    I have a computer set up with a Hauppauge tv tuner and I use windows media center to get my over the air channels , I like the way I can get my tv guide through the media center also I can record . So knowing for sure now that win 10 will not have this setup it will be useless to download . Thanks all for replying, if anyone has something similar to use with win 10 please give a link to the right site. Thanks all

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 07:42:27 PM »
    So this question  is not about Windows Media Player, but the  full Windows Media Center set of  tools. One reference said that MS would have to pay royalties for something. That is rather odd. Does every company that makes any kind of media tools have to pay royalties?  :-\

Here is a link to ZDNet:
    R.I.P., Windows Media Center
    Microsoft discontinued development of Windows Media Center in 2009, but enthusiasts have held out hope that the feature would get one more reprieve for Windows 10. Sorry, folks, that's not happening.
    Reprieve  ???

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 01:33:38 PM »
    Supposed to be going to the Insiders first.  I was an early Insider & have received no notifications and nothing available in Windows Update.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
    You can download the .iso (from MS) if you like: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:30 AM »
    BTW, if you do the above download you are actually downloading a file named MediaCreationTool.exe which, when executed, offers the option to download the .iso (and gives you a choice of W10 version) or to upgrade the existing system directly. I did download the .iso and created a dvd, but also used the other option to upgrade two W8 systems.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 12:53:44 PM »
    This morning I was thinking I would upgrade my other system (I have a relatively cheap build I made about a month ago) to Windows 10. I started it and it had the Get Windows 10 Icon after performing an update. I managed to get ti say the same thing as Computer_Commando is seeing, but couldn't get it to actually download.

Looked it up a bit, their documentation/FAQ is absolutely horrible. Basically the answer to "Why am I not receiving the update yet" is pretty poor. They provide zero information about when to expect it, when it will be downloaded, when you will be "notified", etc. It's basically "You'll receive the update when we decide you are worthy". It says I can check progress with the "Get Windows 10" notification but apparently it has uninstalled itself. What an amazing experience.

I guess I'll just wait until they've decided I am worthy of their benevolence. I'd use the aforementioned ISO install but I'd rather not waste more time on installing an OS that I've yet to think of many positive things to say about anyway.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 05:06:18 PM »
    I just wanted to update a Windows 7-Home Premium laptop.  Did the Media Creation Tool, but it downloaded & immediately went to updating.  No problem, successful update.  Then wanted to create an ISO from the downloaded ESD file.  It had 3 file versions (2-install.exe & 1-install64.exe) & could only get the install64.exe file to convert using a newer version of the decrypter file, i.e. ESD Decrypter v6.

I have no idea why there were 3 ESD files all with the same date, 2 with the same time stamp.

Since it worked, used CCleaner to clean out the Windows.old, MS Edge, etc; then did a Macrium Reflect image.

BC - can't say I'm a big fan of Win10, after using it for 9 months.  It doesn't offer me any more than Win7 did.  However, it actually works much faster on an old laptop that had WinVista32.  Go figure?!

I will say that they did a very good job incorporating a huge database of drivers.  Didn't need any from the manufacturers.
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:25:01 PM by Computer_Commando »

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 05:25:05 AM »
    ...   can't say I'm a big fan of Win10, after using it for 9 months.  It doesn't offer me any more than Win7 did.  ...
    This pretty much sums up my feelings on Win 10.  I've been using it in VMs since the very first Tech Preview and decided I couldn't see any reason to upgrade any of my Win 7 or Win 8.1 machines.  When it comes time to buy/build a new machine, I will probably buy a copy of the OS to install.