Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help: Windows 8.1 taking hours to load.  (Read 4950 times)

HfTFranz

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Need help: Windows 8.1 taking hours to load.
    « on: June 23, 2015, 09:16:10 AM »
    So it was all okay until the afternoon, where I forgot to turn on my AVG and just merely allowed my friend to plug in his USB. His USB had a problem where there were only shortcuts so while I looked for the right attrib commands just to be sure, my computer lagged and even there is a significant delay on my opening the Start menu, so I had to restart. And then boom, it keeps on loading, stuck on the Windows 8 logo and the circle.

I tried the Automatic Repair, and it still loads forever, just like the one above. I have a boot USB for Windows 8 so I used it and tried Refreshing my PC. It still took long, but I allowed it and it only said something like "Error: There was a problem Refreshing your pc. Press Restart."

I already tried reseating SATA and RAM and disconnected all peripherals on the cpu, and it still doesn't work.

I tried the command prompt on the boot USB and used the commands C: and then attrib -h -r -s -a *.*
    And then it says "Access denied - C:\hiberfil.sys"

I also can't find the "Startup Options" in Troubleshoot so that I can go to Safe Mode, so, so far I haven't gone into one yet.

Please help me  :( I have school and I need to use some of the files inside. Please make reformatting the last resort. If there are still possible things I can do, please tell me :) Thank you :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Need help: Windows 8.1 taking hours to load.
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:20:32 AM »
    I tried the command prompt on the boot USB and used the commands C: and then attrib -h -r -s -a *.*
    And then it says "Access denied - C:\hiberfil.sys"

What was the purpose of doing this ? ?

If you simply need your schoolwork hook up the drive to an external HDD enclosure and you can retrieve your data...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

HfTFranz

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 04:49:41 PM »
      I did that to try to find suspicious files in my Drive, in which I couldn't do cuz of hiberfil.sys

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 12:30:38 AM »
      That makes less sense than doing what you did...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "