Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Start Screen, Apps, and Programs Freezing on Windows 8.1  (Read 4966 times)

Kimetto2257

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Start Screen, Apps, and Programs Freezing on Windows 8.1
    « on: June 30, 2015, 05:08:31 PM »
    I started having a number of problems recently on my Asus laptop, which is running Windows 8.1:

--When navigating to the Start Screen and trying to click on one of the apps (for example, the Maps program), the system immediately freezes and can't be recovered unless I use Ctrl-Alt-Del and sign out, then sign in again

--Unable to shut down the computer as I normally did in the past: sweeping the mouse from the right, clicking Settings-->Power-->Shut Down.  The system again freezes or doesn't open these options when attempted. 

--Certain desktop shortcuts no longer work: I double click on one of them and nothing happens (program won't open).  The same with hyperlinks in word documents; just recently they worked fine, but now when clicked they won't navigate to the webpage.  Recently I had to re-install Adobe Flash Player, but when I click on the .exe file it won't execute.  Opening Windows Media Player or some other programs is the same: they freeze or don't open at all. 

The problems probably started within the last 1-2 weeks or so, and may have coincided with the most recent Windows update (KB3074219).

I can still browse the Internet and use other basic functions, but I'm wondering what might be causing all these issues suddenly to occur at once, and how to fix them?  I do not recall installing any new software recently or making any notable changes to the system, so I'm at a loss as to the cause.   I have also seen some note about "Task Host Window" preventing shutdown or signing out.  Not entirely sure what that means.

I appreciate the help.