Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Checking in about Windows 10......  (Read 74358 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Checking in about Windows 10......
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »
For what it  is worth...
MS confused many back on June 21. Here is one of many stories:
Windows 10: Insiders on Windows 7/8 will not require Microsoft account integration to upgrade
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-insiders-windows-7-8-will-not-require-microsoft-account-integration-upgrade-windows-10-1507214
With the full version of Microsoft's most expected Windows 10 operating system slated to be released to the public on 29 July, users registered as Microsoft Insiders will not have to integrate their Microsoft account (MSA) to their computers running the older Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 OSes to upgrade to Windows 10.
What I think that means. Right now I am not using a PC with a registered version of Windows 7. But I do have two legal copies of Windows 7, but I am not using them now. The windows 10 is running well without windows 7 anywhere near it.
So on July 29, or there after, I will have to make sure my Windows 7 is registered and active. Is that right?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 05:40:03 PM »
...So on July 29, or there after, I will have to make sure my Windows 7 is registered and active. Is that right?
Nothing MS has stated indicates that, but as Patio said:  "Clear As Mud".

If your Windows10-TP is updated to Win10-RTM, it will be registered & activated.  Windows 7 should not be needed.  My Windows 8.1 w/Bing tablet has no product ID, just a Windows 8 tag.

Remember, there was (is) a difference between Upgrade Installs & Full Installs.  If you did an upgrade to your Win7 machine, the Win7 PID was there to validate the upgrade & also maintained under Windows.old.  Full (Clean) Installs need a PID  starting with Preview 10062.  If you did 10062 as an upgrade to a prior preview, no PID entry was required.

I just tried reinstalling 10062 over existing 10062 because some features were not working & there were errors on Settings screen.  Whatever was wrong was fixed & I didn't have to enter any new info.  I installed all Preview machines from an iso download built to a USB flash drive with Win7 DVD/USB Download Tool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 12:17:44 AM »
Perhaps this will clarify the "mud": On 20 June Microsoft's Gabe Aul seemingly announced that MS would give away a free copy of the new OS to members of the Windows Insiders test program. Later (June 22) he "clarified" that statement to explain that testers on the Insider program will, like Windows 7 and 8.1 users, get a free upgrade to RTM on July 29th. However, to keep their version licensed, those that upgraded from Preview versions will need to stay signed up for future pre-release updates.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Salmon Trout

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 08:54:41 AM »
testers on the Insider program will, like Windows 7 and 8.1 users, get a free upgrade to RTM on July 29th. However, to keep their version licensed, those that upgraded from Preview versions will need to stay signed up for future pre-release updates.

On that basis, I have burned the x64 Build 10162 ISO to a disk and installed it to my Dell D830 laptop, previously running XP, Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, (it was my Torrent box) and do you know what? It works just fine. I have got it to wake-on-lan and I can RDP into it, it runs Tor Browser and Vuze, and boots in 1 minute 5 seconds to a useable desktop. I have added Classic Shell for the Start Menu.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »
One possible note regarding Windows 10 is that it doesn't support Floppy Drives. I got a Floppy Drive/Card Reader/USB Hub to use to fill the hole in the front of one of my desktop system's cases, and was stymied by why the Floppy refused to appear in Windows 10. It wasn't until I accidentally left a MS-DOS 6 boot disk in the drive when I restarted the system that I realized it must be Windows 10 that was the issue- as it booted MS-DOS 6 from the diskette without problem.

Allegedly USB Floppy drives need separate drivers, though I've not plugged mine in to verify that.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 02:34:31 PM »
Perhaps this will clarify the "mud": On 20 June Microsoft's Gabe Aul seemingly announced that MS would give away a free copy of the new OS to members of the Windows Insiders test program. Later (June 22) he "clarified" that statement to explain that testers on the Insider program will, like Windows 7 and 8.1 users, get a free upgrade to RTM on July 29th. However, to keep their version licensed, those that upgraded from Preview versions will need to stay signed up for future pre-release updates.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/
I found that link a few minutes before looking here.

On that basis, I have burned the x64 Build 10162 ISO to a disk and installed it to my Dell D830 laptop, previously running XP, Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, (it was my Torrent box) and do you know what? It works just fine. I have got it to wake-on-lan and I can RDP into it, it runs Tor Browser and Vuze, and boots in 1 minute 5 seconds to a useable desktop. I have added Classic Shell for the Start Menu.
Installed x64 Build 10130, then upgraded to Build 10162 on Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop, previously Vista-32, Dual-Core T3200 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. 64GB Sandisk SSD.  It was my car's ECU interface & is now a backup for the tablet.  It runs Win10-64 faster than Vista32 with the same hardware.  Boot time is less than half.

Another older Dell desktop Inspiron 530s Dual-Core E2200 2.2GHz, 3GB RAM, 160GB HDD also upgraded to x64 Build 10162.  It's a lot slower than the laptop because of the hard drive being slower.  It's just a test platform. so not important if have to go back to the old OS (Vista).

My desktop runs a dual boot Win7/Win10.  Haven't decided to keep it's Win10 going after the Win7 upgrade.

I still run Classic Shell on all Win7 & above.

I thing the "mud" issue comes from the word "Upgrade" as now defined by Microsoft.  Many don't remember that there were 2 CD versions of Windows 95 & 98:  Full & Upgrade.  Upgrade was less expensive & required a Windows version to be already installed.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 03:02:50 PM »
I have found one issue with my Latitude D830, namely dwm.exe (the desktop compositor) using between 40% and 100% CPU all the time. on Windows 8 and later you can't disable it by choosing a Basic theme. I have downloaded the 32 bit ISO to try that out. (I believe they are being taken down imminently!) At the moment I am keeping the CPU temp below 50 by running the Power Saver power profile. I have read that often in Win 8+  dwm.exe high CPU is caused by Logitech Setpoint software but I don't have that.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 11:50:31 AM »
dwm.exe = Desktop Windows Manager
As I compose this on the 1525, it's less than 5% for me.
Total memory allocated is 1.9GB
1525 has Setpoint installed & running because touchpad is almost unuseable.  I repaired the connector as per online help but it didn't make much difference.   However, the keyboard is terrific.

You're right about the iso link, it's gone.  The link I was using (below) gets redirected.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

Here's what it says:

Welcome back, Insider
Thanks for being part of the program and helping shape Windows 10.
NOTE: We’re very close to the public release of Windows 10 so we’re not onboarding any new PCs to the Windows Insider Program just now. You can still onboard a supported Windows Phone and please do keep using Windows 10 on any PCs you’ve already set up and sending us great feedback!

Still wonder if the final release will be available as an iso.  The download is an esd & there is a tool to convert it.
Here's how:  http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-turn-your-windows-10-upgrade-into-an-iso/

I tested it on a previous esd before I started using the iso's instead.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »
I must have got my 32 bit ISO very close to the line, then, the download completed at 19:15 UTC on 14 July.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »
Do refresh, I added to my post.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 12:56:04 PM »
I installed the 32 bit ISO and dwm.exe is running at between (roughly) 1% and 2% most of the time.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 05:43:53 AM »
Searching for updates was taking a long time; did restart; then this notice "downloading H1 Professional 10240". 
Don't know how big it is, downloading now over wired connection (100Mbps).  2.7GB download

Found this online:

Unlike previous updates, which circulated under the “fbl_impressive” code name, this new build goes by the name “TH1 Professional 10240.” In practical terms that doesn’t mean a lot, though it does indicate that the build is on a different, internally validated release track from previous builds. Which is likely why it’s being issued to Fast and Slow rings simultaneously. Also, unlike previous builds, 10240 will not be available as an .ISO download.

also this:
http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-build-10240-released-windows-insiders-both-fast-and-slow-rings
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:13:40 AM by Computer_Commando »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »
I have 10240 running on a laptop; I am liking it more and more. I like the file copy/move progress UI. Is it the same as Windows 8?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »
I have 10240 running on a laptop; I am liking it more and more. I like the file copy/move progress UI. Is it the same as Windows 8?

Yes, that was added in Windows 8 and 8.1.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »
Many things are the same as Win8.1.  However, many new features which I will likely never use.