Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adobe to no longer offer Flash for linux after version 11.2  (Read 4783 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Totally didnt expect to find this note when going to update my Linux Mint 17.1 system. I figured more and more were accepting Linux and porting for it. This is a surprising step back to only support Mac and Windows for future versions.

NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.

As seen here when it detects that your at their site with Linux OS as I was with my laptop tonight. https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Adobe to no longer offer Flash for linux after version 11.2
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:46:07 PM »
I don't see it as a step backwards. Flash is garbage.

At any rate, this isn't new- This dates back over 3 years.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:50:34 PM »
So then Flash 11.2 is the end of the road fro Linux. Windows users get 17.2.
By the way. , some have noted the new flash player has troubles with some versions of Windows.
Somewhere I read that a Linux user can use Chrome and use Flash. Is that right?

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:09 PM »
Flash might be garbage, but for sites like youtube and flash games, your sort of stuck with it or else it doesnt play videos or games right?  Or is there an alternate way that supports these that I am not aware of?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 12:07:05 AM »
Flash might be garbage, but for sites like youtube and flash games, your sort of stuck with it or else it doesnt play videos or games right?  Or is there an alternate way that supports these that I am not aware of?

Youtube has used HTML5 as the default player option since January of this year.

For flash games, can't help you there, since I'm in the 21st century... :P. Most of the new features added in the last several versions were largely tracking and DRM 'features', so it is unlikely that a Flash game would require newer versions of Flash anyway, meaning 11.2 should be fine. Very few new games are developed in Flash (thank goodness) anyway, with most games for the web being constructed using HTML5/Canvas.

I have Flash set to "Prompt before activate" always, and seldom activate it, though I get a chuckle when a random site that doesn't need to display any sort of video shows the prompt. Also I've found that the option is pretty much the "default" anyway, as Flash is typically sets to "Prompt to activate" mode by security issues. Firefox and I believe chrome recently changed the default setting to Prompt to Activate because of the rampant security issues.

Shumway is an Open Source project designed to play .swf file formats. This is the format used by Flash Games.

Now that youtube not only supports an alternative (HTML5) but enables it by default on any supported browser, hopefully developers can stop developing things using Flash. Regardless of how easy it is to use or create certain content using Flash the concerns of the user should be more important, and the fact that using Flash for your game/software means your users have to install a well known security sieve ought to be enough to use another technology such as Javascript and HTML5 Canvas.

Another consideration should be to have the developers of Flash games allow their game to be downloaded, rather than require the browser plugin to be installed. The Flash Player install includes a standalone player (or if it doesn't, one can be downloaded) which is a more secure option as it cannot be exploited externally.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 09:16:54 AM »
I use Amazon Prime to watch TV and movies. Amazon uses either silverlight or Flash for the video streaming. Some platforms can not use silverlight., so the use has to use Flash instead.