Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: system shutdown  (Read 2904 times)

l b

system shutdown
« on: November 13, 2005, 04:17:24 PM »
my friend's windows XP keeps giving her this error:

System Shutdown
This system wil be shutting down. Save all work in progress and log off. Anything not saved will be lost.
  The shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM
Time before shutdown_:_
The system process
  "C://Windows/system32/lsass.exe' terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system wil now shutdown and restart.  

any idea how to fix it?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: system shutdown
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 04:31:37 PM »
     l b......Would it be safe to say that the machine in question is free of any viruses ?

Are you certain that the o/s is XP .......because that error message relates to Win 2k systems which may not have all the necessary updates ..........

Have you tried restarting in safe mode ?

Let us know .......

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Trick

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 05:41:02 AM »
    Firstly to stop it doing this you can switch off the auto reboot option in:

Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services/Remote Procedure Call.

go to the recovery tab and make sure it doesnt say "reboot machine" anywhere.

Then when you have stopped it rebooting, i would do a full virus check including worm. I think this problem was related to a windows issue that had a worm virus.
    YOu may need a special removal tool, but i cant recall what it was, so you may need to do a search on the windows site.

Saviour

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 04:23:39 PM »
    If, in fact, the file is lsass.exe and not Isass.exe, then you may want to visit the following page:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.webus.b.html

Good luck!

l b

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 03:57:22 PM »
    i have no idea if it has viruses or not..... i haven't even personally looked at the machine yet...... i don't think it does because she just had it "fixed" and as to what was replaced i have no idea...... and seeing as she is almost completely computer illiterate, its near impossible to get the right information out of her. also giving her these instructions may be a bit difficult..... if u come up with anything else let me know. until then i'll see if any of the above works..... thanx

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 04:23:27 PM »
    Yes, it would be a good idea to actually see the problem before we invest too much energy trying to solve it.