Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can a Toshiba A100 Satellite 036 Laptop be upgraded?  (Read 2635 times)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
Can a Toshiba A100 Satellite 036 Laptop be upgraded?
« on: July 24, 2015, 05:01:49 PM »
I have this Laptop since 2006 and i dont feel like buying a new one ($$$$), i only wish i could change the processor to unleash it from its 32bit slowness.
Is it possible to make a 32bit laptop 64bit compatible by changing the processor? If not could i change the motherboard or it would be too much of a hassle?
I'm new to this whole game and willing to learn.
Thank you!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Can a Toshiba A100 Satellite 036 Laptop be upgraded?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 07:47:49 PM »
Simple answer: NO.
Here is why.
A 64 bit processor must be used in a motherboard built for the larger memory space. Because the advantage of 64 bit is mostly the larger address space available. (Many laptops already had a 64 bit data bus.)
Laptops are not made to be updated like desktops can be.

The notable exception is a laptop that allows a video card to be added.
Here is how a laptop could be upgraded.
(Follow the links in the above web page.)

IMO, you may consider selling your laptop and getting a new one. A lot of improvements have been made in  the past 9 or ten years after you got your laptop. For one, the batteries are now better and now fast laptops use less power..  And, of course, they run either 32 bit or 64 bit software.
How good it would be if our computers were easier to upgrade.
Hope this helps.  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Can a Toshiba A100 Satellite 036 Laptop be upgraded?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 08:57:35 PM »
I also agree that its time for a newer laptop if you want 64 bit. You can buy a refurb for around $150-$200 that is more powerful than this one and comes with Windows 7 64-bit. It wouldnt be a speed demon laptop at this price tag, but newer and probably better than what you have now.

I had a Core Duo 1.83Ghz laptop that I found to be too sluggish even with XP patched to the latest SP3 etc. Mine had a better GeForce Mobile 7300 with 128MB VRAM. Sadly my Intel Atom 1.66Ghz netbook was more responsive than this older laptop and the Intel Atom is weak.