Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Issue on File sharing permission on XP  (Read 3015 times)

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Issue on File sharing permission on XP
    « on: November 13, 2005, 08:15:31 PM »
    Hi,

I have a several computers on my LAN. One of the computers is the file server. There are a shared folder that is currently shared on the network. There is no a proper permission set on that folder. This means anyone can access to it. What i'd like to do is to set a permission on that. So what i've done is that i've found some help on the internet. I followed the procedure. What i've done for a testing only is as follows

1. turned off the simple file sharing
    2. set up a user and a group and put the user into the group
    3. go to the shared folder called aaa -> click on sharing and security -> under sharing, select the share this folder, then permission, add the group (Full Control)-> apply and OK
    -> then go to security tab, add the group (Full Control)

After having done all that, i went to the other computer that has its simple file sharing turned off as well. I went to my network places folder, and i could actually see that folder. When i clicked on the folder, it said that it isnot accessible, ... contact administrator.

Can anyone please tell me where i did wrong here?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
      Re: Issue on File sharing permission on XP
      « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 08:21:14 AM »
      Associates,

Restirictions takes priority over Permission. So turning off simple sharing may cause that.

Why don't you try to add users or groups from Security tab of that folder?

After general sharing you can assign different permissions to your users.

Turn on simple sharing and try what I offer.

Hope this helps :)
      Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
        « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 01:01:32 PM »
        You need leave the 'Use simple file sharing' unticked, otherwise you wont have the Security tab function.

Just a thought but you did put your own username as a member of the group didn't you? Or log in as the user you setup?

Try adding administrator to the allowed users and see what happens.
        A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 04:43:20 PM »
        Associates:

Verify that the network connection is good.  Both computers should have the same network IP Address and the same subnet mask (in the command prompt window of both computers, type IPCONFIG /ALL).  If either has a network address that begins with 169, then that computer was unable to connect to your DHCP server.  Try to ping the network address or computer name of the other computer to see if you get any reply (for example, in the command prompt window, type PING FILESERVER, where fileserver is the name of the computer with the shared folder).  

Confirm that both computers are in the same workgroup by checking the Computer Name tab of System Properties.

Double check that the folder is actually shared.  Make sure that your user name is a member of the group that has full control of the folder.  Make sure that your user name uses the same password on both computers.  Do not use any Deny NTFS permissions, just Allow NTFS permissions.

Try turning off or reconfiguring the Windows XP firewalls to see if that is the cause of the problem.  

Let us know how it goes,
        Doc

« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 04:46:17 PM by pcdoc4christ »

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 09:34:09 PM »
          Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your tips and helps. Yes, it works in a sense that i could access to the shared folder only if the simple file sharing is enabled. However, i think that doesn't provide enough security. Besides, we don't get security tab under sharing and security if we enable the simple file sharing.

However, if i disable the simple sharing, i can only access to the folder given that the everyone is not removed from the list under sharing -> permission. It won't work if i remove the everyone from the list and add only my username to the list. BTW, i logon to my computer as an admin. I even added my username to the list under security tab too. That doesn't work either.

Both computers, the fileserver and my computer, are on the same workgroup.

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to show me a step by step procedure for setting it up. I am happy to start it all over again.

Another question is that for being able to access to the folder, does windows check the user name that we enter when we log onto the computer to see if it allows to access to the folder or does it ask for password and/or username when double-clicking on the folder.

Thank you in advance and look forward to hearing from you

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 05:20:26 AM »
          ...It won't work if i remove the everyone from the list and add only my username to the list. BTW, i logon to my computer as an admin. I even added my username to the list under security tab too. That doesn't work either...

What groups have access to the folder now?  The Administrators group should have full control permissions to the folder.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 05:24:15 AM »
          ...Another question is that for being able to access to the folder, does windows check the user name that we enter when we log onto the computer to see if it allows to access to the folder or does it ask for password and/or username when double-clicking on the folder...

The computer with the folder asks for a user name and password if you are logged on to the other computer with a user name or password that is different then the one in its local security database.

You must log on to the remote system using the same user name and password you use to log on to the local system.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 05:27:36 AM »
          ...I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to show me a step by step procedure for setting it up. I am happy to start it all over again...

Well, that would take a few days.  A better solution would be for you to start over by creating a new folder to share and type EVERY step you take to set the folder up as a shared folder with NTFS permissions.  That way we may quickly see what step you are doing incorrectly and point out what you need to do to correct the error.

Best regards,
          Doc

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 03:05:47 AM »
            Thank you very much for your reply.

All the computers on my network are running windows XP Pro.

Honestly, i have tried so many times to use the XP's file sharing permission features but without any lucks. That's why i was looking for other alternatives.

Say, we have 3 computers, compA, compB and compC. They are all running on XP Pro.

Please let me explain in a bit more detail(i hope you don't mind) how i set it up and do please check what i did wrong. For a trial and error purpose, i didn't touch anything on the fileserver. Instead, i tested it on compA and compB.

1. I unchecked the simple file sharing on these 3 comps in order that i can set security permission.
            2. set up username and password on 3 comps ie. compA & compB. For example on compA, username: johns & it's got password, and on compB, michael is the username, and michelle on compC as username
            3. On compA, i created a user by going to "computer management" -> add user "michael". There is a folder called "mydata" sitting on C:\mydata on compA. I made it shared on the network by going to "Sharing and Security" -> share this folder -> on the permission, there is everyone set with only read permission -> on the security, i add user by going to add -> change the object types to user -> i can't change the location so i use "compA" -> Advanced -> find now -> compA/michael. I did the same way for compA/michelle.
            For security setting, i set michael with a full control and michelle with a limited control ie read only.

Then, after having done all that, i went to compB logging as michael and went to windows explore trying to find the folder thru network places. When i double clicked the folder, it actually let me in without asking any password. The problem was i couldn't change or save anything on the folder eventhough i set michael with full control on the security setting while everyone set with limited on the permission on compA. what's happening here? what happen to the full control i set on the security setting for michael?confused.

I hope i explained it well to you.

Thank you once again in advance and look forward to hearing from you