Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 copies of Windows 7 on one PC  (Read 10424 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: 2 copies of Windows 7 on one PC
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:45 PM »
Maybe in a week or so there will be some way to clarify this question.
As has been mentioned, even on the Microsoft forums they talk about multi boot. Never is there found a warning that you violate the license.
The EULA does prohibit visualization, which lets two on more users run one computer with one license. Multi users ate the same time are not allowed.

But multi boot  is wrong, we shooed see proof when the RTM comes out.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 05:46:36 PM »
...we shooed see proof when the RTM comes out...
Actually, the RTM is out, 10240 released on 7/16.

I downloaded it to one computer, then used the ESD file to create the ISO file & then a bootable flash drive to install it on the others.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »
Computer_Commando, Thanks. That is news.

Windows 10 upgrade and installation FAQ.

We figured out who pays and who doesn't
-from Windows Super Site today.

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 10:13:30 AM »
    Not that I am suggesting anyone do this , but what would actually happen in a pc if you tried to install two copies of windows under one license, ie technically illegally?

I was wondering how anyone would know if you has broken the licence terms an if so what would happen on the computer.

Don't worry I am not going to try it, I am just curious!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 10:52:16 AM »
    Well, I  have tried it a number of times.  Microsoft will allow 30 for you to validate  your license, which gives you lots of time to experiment.
    In what region do you live? Reportedly MS has crashed some users on other parts of the world where legal recourse is weak.

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 01:15:51 PM »
      Well, I  have tried it a number of times.  Microsoft will allow 30 for you to validate  your license, which gives you lots of time to experiment.
      In what region do you live? Reportedly MS has crashed some users on other parts of the world where legal recourse is weak.

UK. Not going to try it. Don't want to rock the boat. Have dismissed dual boot idea. Will try 10 on my Backup laptop and try it out before putting it on my main machine.

One more thing. I mentioned running live cd downloads of Linux OS s from dvd-r to try them out. Can I do this with either of the windows OS s so that I can still use it without installing a second d os on the hdd?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 01:37:02 PM »
      I mentioned running live cd downloads of Linux OS s from dvd-r to try them out. Can I do this with either of the windows OS s so that I can still use it without installing a second d os on the hdd?
      Live CD boots from the CD & installs nothing unless you tell it to.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 04:27:26 PM »
      Don't' give up.

The image is from the HowToGeek site.
      You probably shouldn’t install Windows 10 on your primary PC. But, if you are going to, you should at least install it in a dual-boot configuration. You can then reboot to switch between your installed versions of Windows.
      Be sure you have backups of your important files before doing this. You shouldn’t lose your files if you follow this process, but a mistake or bug could cause you to lose them. Better safe than sorry!
      http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/
      I am going t o try and duplicate this.   ;D

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 02:50:48 AM »
        I think i have seen this before. Might be what gave me the idea for dual boot in the first place. Thanks for sharing it though.

Still dont see how it gets around the license problem. You will still have two copies of windows on one machine and only one license. Or am i misunderstanding? Does this version of 10 not need a license?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 06:27:02 AM »
        Still dont see how it gets around the license problem. You will still have two copies of windows on one machine and only one license. Or am i misunderstanding? Does this version of 10 not need a license?

One can find a ton of articles that don't consider that what they advise may violate EULAs.

Realistically, I'd personally not care if somebody was using a pirated copy even. It's more a case of liability for the site (and arguably, myself) since offering advice/information that would help people violate the EULA can be problematic. Arguably a lot of stuff can be used maliciously or for those sorts of purposes so it's something of a gray area, but that's a whole different bag of gophers.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 10:17:47 PM »
        Yesterday I put two installs of Windows 7 home. Actually, not two copies. In installed one copy, And then installed another copy. I have two licenses and two different versions of Windows  7 home.

Windows did a multi boot install fro the second one. The boot menu
         says:
        windows 7
        windows 7

Later I validated the second install.  After that, I did Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 7. The installer found the right one and installed Windows 10. I now have both Windows 7 and the new Windows 10 on the boot menu.

But I have not yet tried to instill Windows  7 from just one CD and one COA and try multi boot.  If multi-boot  does harm to Microsoft, why have they not said something more explicit? And how would it harm them?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 06:09:46 AM »
        Yesterday I put two installs of Windows 7 home. Actually, not two copies. In installed one copy, And then installed another copy. I have two licenses and two different versions of Windows  7 home.

Windows did a multi boot install fro the second one. The boot menu
         says:
        windows 7
        windows 7

Later I validated the second install.  After that, I did Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 7. The installer found the right one and installed Windows 10. I now have both Windows 7 and the new Windows 10 on the boot menu.

But I have not yet tried to instill Windows  7 from just one CD and one COA and try multi boot.  If multi-boot  does harm to Microsoft, why have they not said something more explicit? And how would it harm them?

Multiple booting scenarios are fine but if you have one copy/license of Windows 7, and want to try Windows 10, you won't be able (under the EULA) to have a dual boot between Windows 10 and Windows 7, for the same reason you cannot upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then install that copy of Windows 7 somewhere else. If you have multiple licenses for Win7 it's fine.

And again this about what you are able to do while being above-board with regards to the EULA. Whether it is possible despite that is another question.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »
        We can agree. A user with one COA {license} for Windows 7 gets a free upgrade to Windows 10 and nothing more. The original Windows 7 DVD can not be used again. {Exception is maybe a huge system crash.}

Some sites are saying you can have both you Windows 7 and a version of Windows 10. But I believe this means a limited version for a limited time for evaluation by  an enterprise. That is not the same as the full Windows 10.

I plan to see if I can get an evaluation version for some testing. I will use ether another desktop or a fresh formatted hard drive.   :)

BTW: The updates for an early version of Windows 7 are about 180 things and it takes hours.