Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading windows 10 insider preview to windows 10?  (Read 63801 times)

TheWaffle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Upgrading windows 10 insider preview to windows 10?
« on: August 01, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »
So a while ago I installed windows 10 insider preview pro x64 onto my "new" daily computer as the only os.
It updated itself mabey once. It was running build 10162.  Last night I downloaded the install media to a USB drive. (To preform upgrades) Today I got board and then curious so I ran set up.exe from the flash drive. I clicked through the couple of options and its upgrading!

I don't know what's going to happen.
I'll post images as they come.
If anyone has read the EULA, is Microsoft going to burn me at the stake?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Re: Upgrading windows 10 insider preview to windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 03:28:45 PM »
Why would they ? ?   They are giving it away...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 03:30:25 PM »
If you were registered as an Insider, and your existing builds were supplied through that program, your install should continue to be activated as long as you remain a member of the Insider program.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »
Why would they ? ?   They are giving it away...
Only to Insiders and owners of qualifying OS installs.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 04:09:44 PM »
And he stated he had the preview installed...i kinda didn't need to qualify my statement...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TheWaffle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »
It finished 90 minutes ago. (I had to do other things between then and now)
Now I it doesn't even say its an insider copy. But does that mean I still get insider updates?
I covered up my product ID

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 05:24:20 PM »
if you run 'winver' you'll see the build number. the last Preview build was 10240, which is also the same build as RTM. You don't need to "upgrade" from that final Preview build to the released version because the two are identical.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

TheWaffle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 09:12:11 PM »
You don't need to "upgrade" from that final Preview build to the released version because the two are identical.
Its not that I needed to, but that it allowed me to.
I was running 10162 and the update was taking forever to download on my WiFi, so I tryed the upgrade.
What surprised me, and caused the suspission to post, was that it went from insider preview to just pro.

BTW
Doesn't the build number show up in the command prompts first line when you open it?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 04:26:48 AM »
Doesn't the build number show up in the command prompts first line when you open it?
Easy to verify. Have you tried?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 05:26:07 AM »

Yes, or you can use the VER command to find out the build:

(1) Insider build 10240 fresh install

C:\>ver                                                                                                                                                       

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]

(2) Upgraded Windows 7

C:\>ver

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 11:58:31 AM »
What surprised me, and caused the suspission to post, was that it went from insider preview to just pro.

There is no insider preview build of 10240 because that build was the RTM build.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 12:56:31 PM »
There is no insider preview build of 10240 because that build was the RTM build.
Installations of build 10240 can have either Insider or regular licensing status.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 03:00:31 PM »
Installations of build 10240 can have either Insider or regular licensing status.

I was under the impression that they would all list "Windows 10 Pro" as The PC I have had running Windows 10 since the Preview versions says "Windows 10 Pro" in the PC Information dialog, same as the system that I upgraded via a Windows 10 MSDN disc.

TheWaffle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
Recap:
When I ran insider preview build 10162: under System, in the control panel, it said something like "Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview". Then I ran the upgrade from a usb install media, (made using microsoft's tool) and it went through upgrade process, from what I can tell, as if I was running win7 or 8.1. Now it says I am running Windows 10 Pro. The build is 10240.

How can I tell what edition of windows I am running from my product key?
(Not pro/ home) but Volume Licensing, Retail, OEM, or Insider Preview?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »
Quote from: BC_Programmer
I was under the impression that they would all list "Windows 10 Pro"

What you saw in System changed with build 10240. Insiders who got the update to 10240 from July 15 onward didn't see "Windows 10 Insider Preview" any more. They just saw "Windows 10 Pro".

The point I was trying to make is that there are two ways someone could have an activated Windows 10 build 10240:

1. By having been enrolled in the Insider program, and installing to, or upgrading to, Insider build 10240 on July 15. No need for a  qualifying previous OS install. Their builds remain activated after July 29. These people will remain activated and receive updates, along as they remain in the Insider program. if they leave that program, their install will become de-activated and they will need to buy a license. All Insider buids were Pro.

2. By having, on or after July 29, a qualifying previous OS which they either upgrade or replace with a fresh install. These people don't have any obligations, they are perpetually licensed. They will get an appropriate Windows 10 install and license (Home or Pro) depending on the previous OS edition.

Gabe Aul:

"Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds"

The crux of it is this:

Do you want to continue as a Windows Insider and keep getting preview builds after 7/29?
    Or do you want to upgrade your Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 system that has been getting Windows 10 Insider Preview builds to the 7/29 release and stop being an Insider?

“I want to continue as a Windows Insider!” If you want to continue as a Windows Insider past 7/29 there is nothing you need to do. You’re already opted in and receiving builds in the Fast or Slow ring depending upon your selection. This is prerelease software and is activated with a prerelease key. Each individual build will expire after a time, but you’ll continue to receive new builds so by the time an older prerelease build expires you’ll have received a new one. Since we’re continuing the Windows Insider Program you’ll be able to continue receiving builds and those builds will continue to be activated under the terms of the Windows Insider Program. We provide ISOs for these builds for recovery from any significant problems, but they are still pre-release software. As part of the program we’ll upgrade Insiders to what is for all intents and purposes the same build as what other customers will get on 7/29, but that will be just another build for Insiders, and those who stay in the program will simply get the next build after as well.

“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/