Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installing Vector Linux on USB flash drive  (Read 6825 times)

Superhuman

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    installing Vector Linux on USB flash drive
    « on: August 17, 2015, 12:05:30 AM »
    I looked up how to install Vector Linux on a flash drive but need some help (my CD writer seems to have just started failing).  I'm going by http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=bqoq3pte3m9k75ank3o9gvleh4&topic=5721.msg68396#msg68396.  It seems an easy installation, so I got a utility to extract the image file.  But I'm having problems and/or am missing something:

1. I got ZipGenius 6, and extracted the image file to my flash drive.  It will not extract all of the files, and behaves strangely.  It doesn't extract the root directory files-- I did myself, but then there's who knows which others that are going to take too long to figure it out.  There's very little documentation, but it is pretty straight-forward to use.  I just tried another iso file and it also doesn't extract all of the files, most/the majority of them only.  What is wrong with this program?

2. I presume it has to be installed in the root directory of the stick drive?

3. The directory structure is different than when the post was written, but I found the script to execute (bootinst.sh).  If I could get all the files extracted, how or with what OS/flavor do I execute this with, an existing Linux distro?  I currently only have a Legacy OS live CD (Puppy Linux), and I have to replace my fried CD writer before am able to burn anything else-- I'll be lucky if it still reads/boots discs okay.
    “The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Attributed to “Chief Seattle” (Noah Sealth 1786-1866)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: installing Vector Linux on USB flash drive
    « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 01:52:22 AM »
    I would try another archive/unarchiving program such as 7-zip.

From what I can tell ZipGenius is a Windows program so I'm guessing you are on Windows. If so then you cannot run the .sh script file at all. That forum post presumes that the user is using Linux on their system already, I think.

I was able to find linuxliveusb.com linked from answer in this StackOverflow question- it may be worth a try.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Superhuman

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: installing Vector Linux on USB flash drive
      « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:49:17 AM »
      It says in my profile info I'm using Win.  Thanks for the link, the LiLi USB Creator seems a good program for creating bootable USB flash installs, and it handles all the steps in one.  However, I tried using it, and also again created the AVG Recovery USB setup, which should be a reliable bootable flash drive install.  It's not just my USB 2.0 adapter ports, but even the built-in USB 1.1 ports will not boot anything.  And in BIOS it shows just about every device imaginable to boot off, except USB.  So at this point, I'm pretty sure my system cannot boot off any USB device :'(.  Unless there were to be something like a BIOS update that adds this capability... but somehow I think it'd take a bit more than that.
      “The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Attributed to “Chief Seattle” (Noah Sealth 1786-1866)