Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing a Second Hard Drive  (Read 3765 times)

Andrew Grant

Installing a Second Hard Drive
« on: July 26, 2004, 04:31:43 PM »
I recently tried to install a second hard drive for extra storage on my computer. I dont want to boot from the drive i just want to use it for storage. After i physically put the drive into the computer and connected everything correctly i turn on the computer and in the bios none of my hard drives or cd roms were get detected. I try auto detect and i get nothing. So i switched which hard drive was connected to the end and the middle of the ide cable and the hard drives were detected but not my cd roms. I continued booting the computer and it took a lot longer than usual. When i went to "my computer" the new hard drive didnt show up. I have tried several different jumper setting and nothing seems to work. I have windows xp pro if that helps.

Thanks, Andrew

MalikTous

Re: Installing a Second Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 09:31:01 PM »
If your 80-line UDMA hard drive cable is a straight feed one, the old drive must be jumpered as Master with Slave and the second one as Slave. If it is a Cable Select cable, both HDs must be set to Cable Select. The old (master) drive should be on the end connector and the new drive on the middle connector.

Your BIOS should then recognise both drives as well as your optical drives.

If the two drives balk at being connected to the same cable, mount your new drive as master or slave to your CDRW drive, and if you have a DVD reader mount it as slave to your old drive.