Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVI monitor not recognised  (Read 2075 times)

Harry C

DVI monitor not recognised
« on: November 14, 2005, 06:24:05 PM »
Hi, I just bought a new Gateway FPD2185W monitor. I had it working on the DVI output from my ATI 9000 PRO video card for a while. Even had my old VGA running as dual monitors. Then I plugged in the USP hub that the monitor has built in. Windows popped up a message saying "found new hardware" and (I guess) installed something to make it work. I was also playing around with the primary/secondary monitor buttons. Anyway, after re-booting, the DVI monitor is no longer recognised by my video card.
I have seen this question asked on other hardware forums but no solution is ever proposed.
I have tried a different cable, updated my drivers, turned off USB support (that was one possible conflict) and made sure my MB BIOS is up to date.
Anyone have a solution or a suggestion where to look. I've tried ATI & Gateway sites - no luck.
Thanks for any help!

pcdoc4christ

Re: DVI monitor not recognised
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 03:40:39 AM »
... Anyway, after re-booting, the DVI monitor is no longer recognised by my video card... I have tried a different cable, updated my drivers, turned off USB support (that was one possible conflict) and made sure my MB BIOS is up to date.
Anyone have a solution or a suggestion where to look. I've tried ATI & Gateway sites - no luck.
Thanks for any help!

Hmmm

Well, if you have dual monitors enabled, you may use the other monitor to troubleshoot this one.  Check the Device Manager--is the DVI monitor listed there?  If it is, is there an exclamation mark or question mark next to it?  Right click on it and choose Properties--what does the device status say?

If you give us the make and model of the Digital Video Interface LCD monitor, we may see if we are able to find some info. online.  

Have you tried the monitor on another computer?  Is the power indicator light on the monitor on?  Have you turned the power on the monitor off and on?  Did you check that your video card is firmly seated in its socket?  Have you verified that the monitor is plugged in and the electrical outlet is supplying power? (try plugging a lamp in the same outlet to test it).

Let us know how it goes,
Doc

Harry C

Re: DVI monitor not recognised
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »
thanks for the reply.
The Gateway FPD2185W monitor has DVI and VGA input. I am using the VGA input from my ATI 9000 card's DVI output with a converter dongle. So I know the is a signal coming from the DVI on my video card.
I understand, for DVI conections, that there is a handshake, where a signal from the monitor tells the card what kind of device it is, the resolution and frequency. Is this true? Could this be failing, then the card doesn't send a DVI signal? Because when I connect the DVI to VGA it shows in my "displays" tab as a second "monitor" NOT a "FPD" as it did when I had it running for a while.