Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC refuses to boot when SATAs plugged in  (Read 1913 times)

Marc

PC refuses to boot when SATAs plugged in
« on: November 15, 2005, 01:09:02 PM »
(not as boot drives)
Ive been having a problem lately, i have 2 pata/ide drives, and 2 sata drives, the ide drives house the windows partition, page file, etc. sata just has meaningless junk on it.  They were working fine together for months, both would boot, would be detected, etc., but one day the computer just started refusing to boot, after several hours, i figured out that it only wont boot when the sata drives are plugged in... either of them.  Ive tried replacing the interface card, replacing the cables, but still, as long as the sata drives are plugged in, the pc just wont boot, not even in safe mode.  The pc just freezes at "IDE Bus Master Enabled" (right before it starts actually booting windows).  The sata drives themselves will still work on other pcs... but, that doesnt help me much, im just not sure whats going wrong here...

Specs:
Asus A7n8X-E Mobo, AMD Athlon XP 3200+ cpu, 1536mb of pc2700 ddram, Nvidia GeforceFX 5600 256mb Video Card.

GX1_Man

Re: PC refuses to boot when SATAs plugged in
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 05:14:41 PM »
Is the power supply good enough to run all of those items? Can you test with another?