Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't connect to wireless printer  (Read 3528 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Can't connect to wireless printer
    « on: August 28, 2015, 10:57:34 AM »
    Hello

I am having trouble installing an Epson wireless printer on Win 7. Basically, Windows cannot connect to the printer.

I have reinstalled the printer software and restarted the router (D-Link DSL).

Epson has said I need to:

Check that the Wi-Fi communication mode (IEEE802.11*) set for your wireless router (the access point) matches the one supported by your printer. (*Display varies according to your location.)

Where would I find those communication modes, please?

Thanks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't connect to wireless printer
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »
    Which Epson printer?
    Did you follow the instructors on the CD that came with the printer?
    Are you able to do a test connection using the USB cable?
    Can you provide a link to the Epson manual? That way others can guide you thorough the steps.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:42:51 PM »
      Thanks for your reply.

It seems that the wireless printer will print with a LAN cable, but not wirelessly.

Yes, I have followed the instructions and even spoken to Epson online chat (not too helpful).

The printer icon - it's an Epson XP-225 - is in Device Manager with a green tick alongside it.

The Epson support page is here: http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/support

(two manuals if you scroll down to the bottom).

The user manual is here: ftp://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/3789/epson378919eu.pdf

I now have the IP address of the router and can access its software through my browser. If I log-in there, what should I be looking for in terms of the printer - an ID, IP address, name of the printer, etc? If I can locate the IP address of the printer, should it be the same as the IP address of the computer?

Thanks again.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 02:16:04 AM »
        Hello

If I connect with a cable, I can print - I can see the green tick in Printers/Devices.

Without a cable, I can also see a tick, but when I try to print it says 'Not ready'.

When I try to access the router via the IP address, it just hangs forever. I thought it was an IE thing so downloaded Safari on Windows, but same thing - it just hangs.

Thanks for your help.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:38:43 AM »
        It seems that the wireless printer will print with a LAN cable, but not wirelessly.
        Do you mean with the LAN cable connected to your router, or directly to your computer?  Have you tried connecting your printer to your router via cable?  Then, you could wirelessly print from any computer communicating with the the printer through the router.  That is how I have my Brother printer setup.  Actually, you can print from any computer with a wireless or wired connection to the router.

strollin

Adviser
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 08:45:14 AM »
        Did you try watching the videos on this page?: http://www.epson.co.uk/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/faq/13661/7746

They go thru the process of first removing the currently installed software, resetting the printer, then re-installing and configuring the wifi.  With your printer, it is necessary to connect the printer to the computer via USB cable in order to configure the wifi.  Once the wifi has been configured, then you can disconnect the USB cable.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »
        Earlier the OP asked about getting the printer with the IP address. In Windows that is not needed. In Windows devices that are shared are available on the network and in Windows they appear in network.

A printer with Ethernet is available to all users. (Unless the administrator has put in a restriction. But that is not the case here.)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 05:14:32 PM »
        He needs to enable file and print sharing...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 08:09:03 PM »
        He needs to enable file and print sharing...
        This would be true if he had the printer connected to one computer and wanted to share it with other computers on a LAN.  But, based on the discussion so far, I have seen no indication that is what he wants to do.  And, if he connects his printer to his router, as he has stated, the printer is available to any computer connected to the router.  Is this not true?