Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 3.1 OS install question/s.  (Read 13411 times)

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

3.1 OS install question/s.
    « on: March 03, 2016, 10:26:09 PM »
    I have an old Dell 3000 M266XT that I can put to use, but need to find the 3.1 O.S. on floppy disks or CD if there is such a thing. I want to do a fresh install from 3.1 up to Windows 98 using 95 Upgrade and then to 98 Upgrade only because I have both Upgrades 95 and 98. Ultimately I want to end with 98 SE if I can find a copy of that. I found a few sites that claim they have 3.1 OS in zip form but not having any luck loading to floppies ones files are extracted. Any help would be appreciated. My reason for the 3.1 is because that is what was on the laptop HDD when it was given to me and I just bought the 95 upgrade and then the 98 upgrade after that...so no full versions of anything. except XP and Vista. I loaded XP on it but boy was it a dog.

The laptop has both cd drive and a floppy drive, and has the highest I can go with memory, I think, and I believe I have a decent size HDD as well which I bought new for a replacement about a decade ago and it is ready for a fresh install of whatever.

"Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 3.1 OS install question/s.
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:03:20 PM »
    You won't need to load all those different versions of windows to get the win98. If you boot from a floppy with cd drivers you can download a disk image from here.

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

And then run setup from the win98 cd or if on floppy disk, boot from the first disk and install Windows 98.

With there being limited support for internet and hardware under Win98 perhaps a install of Puppy linux would be worth considering.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: 3.1 OS install question/s.
      « Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 03:34:35 AM »
      Thanks so much for the info...I'm sure it will be challenging to find the drivers I would need but It'll be fun looking.
      "Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields