Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive help  (Read 2142 times)

leemaree

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    External Hard Drive help
    « on: September 13, 2015, 08:45:55 AM »
    I have an external hard drive since 2 years ago and ever since it worked until last week it didn't. When I plug it in to the USB port it is making a sound (as it does to let it knows it's plugged in) but doesn't show up in Explorer. It is not my USB Port as all of them work. I have windows 8.1. It shows up in Device Manager and it shows up on the little icon where in says 'safely remove usb drive' It doesn't show up in Disk Management either. The blue light is on. Sometimes every now and again, it's flashing as it did when I first got it as it's suppose to. And also, there is stuff on there that I need. If it is fecked up, is there any software or hardware that's downloadable to get the stuff of it? Any suggestions? I googled it and nothing

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: External Hard Drive help
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 10:21:22 AM »
    If you have a desktop computer handy and are careful enough to get the hard drive out without damaging it you could try 2 things.

#1 move the hard drive to a new USB enclosure and maybe it will work if the USB to SATA controller is shot on the enclosure that the original drive came in.

#2 remove the hard drive and mount it onto a spare SATA port on a desktop computer, and if the drive is healthy, but the enclosure was bad, you now would have access to your data.

Based on success or failure of one of these methods, if your still not able to get access to your data you could try a trial of a program called GetDataBack NTFS. If the drive spins up and the HDD controller isnt toast, this software can reassemble lost file systems and tables and allow for you to send the data to a healthy hard drive. But this software costs money to recover data. So I suggest trying trial first if this is a method you need to use, and see if it locates your data. It will show file names and directory tree info etc so you know its found your data, but the trial will only show your data, they dont allow recovery of data with the trial, just proof if the software can or cant recover it. I have used this software on many damaged or corrupt drives.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 01:03:38 PM »
    Boot the system and enter the BIOS...does it show up there ? ?...if not ...the drive has failed.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »
    Another  thing  to check.
    After a Hard Drive has been stored for awhile, the spindle may become stuck. Trying to lubricate the spindle is out of the question.

Two ideas:
    A) The hard drive enclosure has a power  supply that does not give enough current current to free the spindle. You might try a better power supply. Be careful.

B) A rick used by some techs is to subject the hard drive to very low temperature for several hours and then let it com back to room temperature. This may free the spindle.

How this helps.  :)